E34-2 Mainsheet Woes (and other assorted rigging jobs to do)

Phr3d

Member II
Weather helm: efforts to keep the boat flat......1-2 wheel spokes worth of weather helm

Last time out, I was able to keep the boat flatter (and with less weather helm) with the cunningham/halyard/outhaul/vang/traveler combinations. The day after, in sighting the mast alongside the halyard (main down) I thought I was imagining it looked bowed forward after mid-mast. I didn't think much about it at the time. The mast is currently un-stepped for new standing rigging. In talking with the rigger, the forestay was described as being too short and the backstay turnbuckle at max compression. He also said it looked like there was not enough rake. (Hand waving conjecture here) the opposite of mast bend from backstay tension would produce a more powerful sail?

So, to continue the sailing narration: eventually, after rolling up more of the genoa twice, we just put it away (as it was starting to resemble a partially rolled croissant prior to being placed on a cookie sheet). I was surprised when the pointing immediately became noticeably higher. Boat speed was within half a knot.

The sails are now at a loft. The slugs for the main are being sewn on (I had a lack of trust with the little plastic shackles). They also have the genoa and the gennaker. I asked for advice on the genoa being cut down and possibly replacing the gennaker sock with a furler.

This week, the various parts are supposed to be done and will be reassembled. I'm really looking forward to it.