E34 - cause of list to starboard?

PDBFL904

Looking at an E34 and noted slight list to starboard while on her mooring. Could this be as simple as distribution of water in the storage tanks? Any other hypotheses?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Today's discount on Hypotheses - only $.02 !

Looking at an E34 and noted slight list to starboard while on her mooring. Could this be as simple as distribution of water in the storage tanks? Any other hypotheses?

I believe that you have it right. Looking around our moorage I can see a noticeable # of boats that list a bit at rest. Some of the power boats are just as noticeable, as well.
Here's an earlier thread, and some searching will pop up some more IIIRC.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?1550-E28-listing-to-starboard

Loren

(Whose '88 model is perfectly upright as long as the starboard settee water tank is full! )

:egrin:

Logans Run

It may be that your standing rigging was not adjusted properly causing the mast to lean to starboard a little. Like a lever, the mast being slightly off plumb could cause the boat to list slightly. The way to check it is to run the dummy end of a tape measure up the halyard and measure to each stay, they should be the same. The fix is not hard, the Ericson owner's manual has a procedure to adjust the stays to center the mast, and it looks doable for the average owner.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
List to starboard

Besides the starboard water tank, there is also the black water tank. If it is near full and the fresh water tank is full, you can develop a list due to excessive liquids. I always draw water from the starboard tank first for this reason and also for the reason that the foot pump only draws from the port tank. I want water there in case the electric water pump fails.

Bob Morrison
E-34 Terra Nova