E34T Going South... Jamestown, RI to Norfolk this weekend

sv_naidia

Member II
Hello Everyone,

After a great summer on the Narragansett Bay, I'm starting south to enjoy the winter on "Lauren B"... I've got a tight window of opportunity in the next week and planning to throw the lines as early as tomorrow or Sunday. Depending on time, I am hoping to make it as far south as Norfolk on this first leg but may stop short in Great Egg Harbor, NJ if timing doesn't work out for the whole journey. The weather is looking good with winds SW 10-15, 2-6 seas and nice temperatures.. Maybe some rain along the way but forecast to dissipate over the weekend to the south.

Has anyone made the coastal trip from New England South? I was wondering experiences good or bad on taking the Long Island Sound/ NYC East River route versus setting course southward after leaving the bay... Surely the LI Sound route would be very scenic and fun but time is not on my side and there is always the trip north in June.

Also, if any local vikings are interested to go along as crew, I would welcome 1 or 2 for this fun little trip. All those, regardless of experience are welcome as this will be a fun lil coastal cruise.

Look forward to hearing back.....:egrin:

my email is Ronald.mahan@yahoo.com if anyone is interested in crewing and wants to contact me directly.

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Sounds like fun, Ron. But I would wait until Ophelia passes by. You are likely to see some big water as she tracks north.

sv_naidia

Member II
Been watching Ophelia indeed

Sounds like fun, Ron. But I would wait until Ophelia passes by. You are likely to see some big water as she tracks north.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, been watching the track and strength. Your advice is definitely sound advice; thanks!!!! Have you made a similar passage? If so, your thoughts on my routing inquiry.

Thanks again for your input... I enjoy reading your posts as you always have "real" life info and experiences to share.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Ron. We have not made that entire passage...yet.

We did LI sound to Stamford last year while helping the new owner of my Ericson deliver her. We went through the races around midnight and it was very surreal and spooky. I am glad we were going west. Looking back at it was a little scarey with the standing waves. The boat moved in such an unpredictable way it almost felt like we were floating in air as she would instantly turn 20°.

If you do decide to go that route, study your Eldridge book as there is a time when you can ride both a flood and ebb tide and have the current in your favor.

Have a safe trip and keep in touch.

GMC

Member II
Have a good trip.

I am moving a shorter distance south from New Bedford and up the CT river for the winter in the next couple of weekends. Wish I had enough days to join your trip, but schedule won't permit. Have fun.

bayhoss

Member III
Have a great trip!

Are you going to stay in the Atlantic the whole way down, or are you going into the ICW at Norfolk?

Best,
Frank

sv_naidia

Member II
LI Sound

Thanks Ron. We have not made that entire passage...yet.We did LI sound to Stamford last year while helping the new owner of my Ericson deliver her. We went through the races around midnight and it was very surreal and spooky. I am glad we were going west. Looking back at it was a little scarey with the standing waves. The boat moved in such an unpredictable way it almost felt like we were floating in air as she would instantly turn 20°.If you do decide to go that route, study your Eldridge book as there is a time when you can ride both a flood and ebb tide and have the current in your favor.Have a safe trip and keep in touch.
Hi Tim,Funny, I just heard almost the same story from a person from here too. I agree going west is the lesser of two evils. Looks like I will delay until mid week or mid November. Gotta love this crazy sailing life of ours. I'll keep you posted. Had a great sail tonight around Narragansett Bay. Winds SW 12-16. Bruce King has certainly touched us all in a wonderful way!!!

sv_naidia

Member II
I am moving a shorter distance south from New Bedford and up the CT river for the winter in the next couple of weekends. Wish I had enough days to join your trip, but schedule won't permit. Have fun.
Sounds fun. I'll keep you posted as I think this is going to be delayed a month now. Mid November has proven to be some great weather and hopefully the hurricane machines will have gone away.

sv_naidia

Member II
Route

Are you going to stay in the Atlantic the whole way down, or are you going into the ICW at Norfolk? Best,Frank
Hi Frank. Planning to stay offshore until Norfolk. Any local knowledge feedback on the ICW south of Norfolk? Heard south of charleston is no issue.

bayhoss

Member III
I've done the ICW from Norfolk to the southern part of the Pamlico Sound. Once you get past the military/industrial of Norfolk it's beautiful. There are a couple of different routes that you can take - either has it's pro and cons. Be careful of the G115 buoy area on the Currituck sound, the area south of Coinjock can have very shallow spots. The most serious concern is the Albermarle Sound - it's shallow, with an average depth of 15-20', storms come up quickly and when they do they get nasty.

Best always,
Frank

South of Charleston

That's the only leg I have done--Charleston to St. Lucie Canal--then across the lake to the west coast. It's pretty and very twisty/turny. Pay attention to your navigation. Around Hilton Head and Parris Island there are some interesting currents. There's a Chart House on the Savannah waterfront. Yum! Careful with your stuff in that area. There was, supposedly, an ad in Craig's List from a guy and his girlfriend who were robbed in that area. The ad went something like: "My apologies to the guy who tried to steal my new Burberry jacket on River Street in Sanannah on April 10. I am sorry that the whole incident made you mess your pants. But when you forced me to give you my jacket, after you had stolen my girlfriend's purse, you then saw the Kimber .45 ACP I was carrying in a shoulder rig my girlfriend has just gotten for me. I took your cell phone so you couldn't call for backup. I also called the FBI on your cell phone and made threats against the life of the president, so you may be hearing from the federal government rather soon. I took your shoes so you couldn't go far. The homeless guy I gave them to outside the Sack of Suds was really happy with them. I used the credit cards in your wallet to buy gas for every car in a nearby Seven-Eleven, including a guy who had a motor home and took 156 gallons. He was very grateful. I am thoroughly sorry that you lost control of your bowels when I pointed my Kimber at your head, but I am a US Marine with two tours in Afghanistan and it seemed patently unfair for you to prey on us in the very country I had been fighting for. Semper Fi!

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Trip South

The trips I have made mostly were offshore down the NJ coast to the C&D canal to the Chesapeake, down to Norfolk, then ICW to Beaufort, NC. Offshore from there to Charleston, then again offshore to Ft. Lauderdale. That always worked well. Have also done NY Harbor offshore to Norfolk and then down ICW-but IIRC, we always headed offshore from Beaufort. ICW from Norfolk to Beaufort is a great ride-Pamlico Sound beautiful.
Have fun, be safe!

S

Last edited:

sv_naidia

Member II
Thanks Frank...

I've done the ICW from Norfolk to the southern part of the Pamlico Sound. Once you get past the military/industrial of Norfolk it's beautiful. There are a couple of different routes that you can take - either has it's pro and cons. Be careful of the G115 buoy area on the Currituck sound, the area south of Coinjock can have very shallow spots. The most serious concern is the Albermarle Sound - it's shallow, with an average depth of 15-20', storms come up quickly and when they do they get nasty.

Best always,
Frank

Frank, The Pamlico Sound seems like a great idea. Seems much of the ICW haas depth issues and like you say, the storms don't help things.... Currituck Sound is certainly a beautiful place.

Thanks again!!!!

sv_naidia

Member II
Watch your Stuff indeed

That's the only leg I have done--Charleston to St. Lucie Canal--then across the lake to the west coast. It's pretty and very twisty/turny. Pay attention to your navigation. Around Hilton Head and Parris Island there are some interesting currents. There's a Chart House on the Savannah waterfront. Yum! Careful with your stuff in that area. There was, supposedly, an ad in Craig's List from a guy and his girlfriend who were robbed in that area. The ad went something like: "My apologies to the guy who tried to steal my new Burberry jacket on River Street in Sanannah on April 10. I am sorry that the whole incident made you mess your pants. But when you forced me to give you my jacket, after you had stolen my girlfriend's purse, you then saw the Kimber .45 ACP I was carrying in a shoulder rig my girlfriend has just gotten for me. I took your cell phone so you couldn't call for backup. I also called the FBI on your cell phone and made threats against the life of the president, so you may be hearing from the federal government rather soon. I took your shoes so you couldn't go far. The homeless guy I gave them to outside the Sack of Suds was really happy with them. I used the credit cards in your wallet to buy gas for every car in a nearby Seven-Eleven, including a guy who had a motor home and took 156 gallons. He was very grateful. I am thoroughly sorry that you lost control of your bowels when I pointed my Kimber at your head, but I am a US Marine with two tours in Afghanistan and it seemed patently unfair for you to prey on us in the very country I had been fighting for. Semper Fi!

Morgan,

Thanks for your input. I don't intend to do the Gulf this year but will pack your great advice away for years down the road. I believe in Lats and Atts or Cruising World this month was an article about boat security and some measures others have taken to dissuade those with curious fingers. I visit a multitude of cities and countries each month for work and always amazed at how some are so lax in keeping their valuables in check. You won't ever find my boat key under the port primary winch!!!!!!! I can't believe how many repair people here in RI were shocked at my lack of trust in the local folk!!!!

sv_naidia

Member II
Seth... Thanks

The trips I have made mostly were offshore down the NJ coast to the C&D canal to the Chesapeake, down to Norfolk, then ICW to Beaufort, NC. Offshore from there to Charleston, then again offshore to Ft. Lauderdale. That always worked well. Have also done NY Harbor offshore to Norfolk and then down ICW-but IIRC, we always headed offshore from Beaufort. ICW from Norfolk to Beaufort is a great ride-Pamlico Sound beautiful.
Have fun, be safe!

S
Hi Seth,

Thanks once again for your advice. I have considered the C&D canal route as it seems like a great run and very scenic. I've thought lots about the second leg after Norfolk and like you, think I will do a hybrid of offshore/ICW. After all the excitement of heading south this week, reality set in and its a great indian summer here in Rhode Island. Had a great afternoon sail yesterday then got up this morning and did a sunrise trip all around Conanicut Island which was breathtaking.... got back to my mooring mid afternoon....

I gotta tell ya, every time "Lauren B" and I go for a sail, it makes me more and more proud to once again own an Ericson. The E34T is a fun ride and with the tall stick, she flys!!! Thanks again for everyone's advice when I was in the "should I buy her or not" stage. Glad I chose the former.... definitely no buyer's remorse here!!!!

For those considering the Tidewater Marine "Fast Trak" system, it is a everything it is advertised to be. That combined with the North Sails Quik Cover/lazyjack system makes single handing a breeze.

The Boatpix.com helicopter today got really up close and personal so as soon as I get ahold of the pics, I'll post some.

Thanks Tim for encouraging me to wait out some big water!!!! I'll be heading south mid November now so if anyone is interested, still heading to Norfolk on leg 1.

Thanks to Sean and all the great Ericson/Sailing advisors... This site is the best; its on my daily read list.

Happy Sailing everyone!! :egrin::egrin::egrin:

CTOlsen

Member III
South to lower Ches Bay

Ron,
I've done the trip from Montauk to Cape May- you can do it in about 36 hours with the right conditions. I'm in Hampton, very near Norfolk. If you're looking to stay over for a few days or weeks, Hampton is not a bad place to tie up. E-mail me if you need help around the Hampton area.
CTO
(another Viking)

sv_naidia

Member II
Hamoron or Newport news...

Ron,I've done the trip from Montauk to Cape May- you can do it in about 36 hours with the right conditions. I'm in Hampton, very near Norfolk. If you're looking to stay over for a few days or weeks, Hampton is not a bad place to tie up. E-mail me if you need help around the Hampton area.CTO(another Viking)
Hi Craig,Thanks for your reply. Your info about timing is really close to what I planned. Finding a transient slip near Hampton or Newport News is what I am seeking as I will be in town for a few weeks most likely. Any suggestions? I'll definitely let you know as my plans firm up. Always have plenty of liquid communication and pupus on hand. Take care....

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Pix

Sounds like a great day of sailing! Post those pix when you get them!

Cheers,
S

bayhoss

Member III
Marina in Norfolk

Ron, if you are going to go thru Norfolk then a very good marina to tie up in is the Waterside in Norfolk. Well protected, deep, and easy to get in and out of. It sits on the 0 mile marker of the ICW. They have a website and are worth looking into. The wife and I stayed there last year and had no issues.

Best always,
Frank

sv_naidia

Member II
Great folks at Waterside

Ron, if you are going to go thru Norfolk then a very good marina to tie up in is the Waterside in Norfolk. Well protected, deep, and easy to get in and out of. It sits on the 0 mile marker of the ICW. They have a website and are worth looking into. The wife and I stayed there last year and had no issues.Best always,Frank
Hi Frank,Thanks for the great lead!!! Great folks there. Looks like I've found a place for a few weeks. Best Regards,