E35-3 Overland Shipping Height (Keel to Bow Pulpit)

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Kind Ericson Owners: I was wondering if anyone may know the overall "overland" shipping height of an Ericson 35 Mk. III? Our family is interested in keeping this very vessel "in the family", and it currently resides in Texas and I'm looking into shipping it North to Michigan (Lake St. Clair or Huron). Unfortunately nobody is readily able to go take the neccesary measurements for me down South, so I was hoping the forum may have an answer on-hand that would at least be superior to my guesstimate. My guesstimate is that it's less than 7' from water to the top of the bow pulpit, making the approximate total max mast-less height around 13' 2" (obtained by merely adding the 6' 2" draft of this vessel to the approximate max height above the waterline excluding the mast). If anyone was certain of the forward freeboard and the approximate bow pulpit height, these could equate to an answer as well.

Thanks in advance for your help - obviously the shipper would need to know the total height since over 13' 6" requires a much different route than typical highways.

Kindest Regards and happy sailing,
Brian.

Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
I don't remember the exact height, but when we shipped from Alameda, CA to Portland OR a few years back we were just under "regulation" height, and didn't need a pilot car or any detours to fit under the interstate overpasses. They used a trailer where the keel could "drop" into the middle of the trailer - pretty common for moving sailboats.

We did have to remove the bow pulpit and the stantions, and they had to slightly tilt the bow up on the trailer to meet height requirements.

Our boat has a deep keel.

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
That helps a bunch - this vessel likewise has the "deep" keel (6' 2" draft, per documentation) so it sounds like the pulpit will indeed need to be removed if your did. I drive down to the Dearborn area daily, and most all of the bridge signs indicate a height above 14' 0", but who knows what else is between here and Texas.
Thanks once again for the help.

Kind Regards,
Brian.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Shipping Height on 35III

Brian: I shipped my boat from Florida to Illinois in May 2010.......I did not have to remove the pulpits......I remain a total spastic when it comes to downloading photos to this forum.....If you contact me back channel I will be glad to email several of the shipping photos that I took.....

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Mort - I just sent you a Message. I'd love any photos you could provide! Is your Mk III a "Competition Keel" with the 6'2" draft as well? That would be one concern I'd have.

Again, many thanks to all who have replied and imparted advice!

Regards,
Brian.

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Also, just found in the Sea Trials article on the E35-3 (available in the Downloads area) that the Stem Freeboard is 4' 4".

So, by my calculations:
6' 2" draft + 4' 4" stem freeboard + 2' bow pulpit = 12' 6"

Per all of the shipping companies I've received bids from thus far, under 13' is no problem for shipping. So that leaves 6" for errors. :)

tcooper

Member II
Overland shipping

I ship my 36 Rh twice year, I take mine home every winter. 36 RH has 6' draft, I have to take pulpit and safety cables off, but other than that it's clean ship under 13'6". The guy I use is out of Muskegon, Mi. takes 30 minutes to load up and off he goes. Need to have good cradle and it's no sweat. I'm always more nervous that he is, but it really is no big deal. I find it costs about the same taking home 35 miles than paying storage plus I work on it all winter inside no travel.

Tom 36 RH

e38 owner

Member III
I have taken my 38 around the west. We have the 6.6 keel
On a lowboy trailer you should have no problem with the 13'6" clearance. If going back east there may be a lower standard than 13,6".
My trailer is out in back and I can give you some measurements in a pm.
We need to take the guard for the dorades off and the wheel off but not the pedestal
If the mast travels on the side you should be good to go.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Brian,

I, like Tom, have an E36RH with a 6'3" draft. Mine shipped from California to Annapolis on the usual hydraulic sailboat trailer without removing the pulpits and under any max height (13'6") restrictions. My measured stem freeboard was 4'2". I calculated 12'4" total height for the boat. Whatever the trailer added to total height was still under 13'6" total.

Mark

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Thanks so much for the help!

All - Thanks so much for the help! I believe we've got this one solved (at least for the moment) Mort was able to send photos of his E35-3 (which was shipped along a similar route) with pulpit and lifelines still installed (also of note, his boat is BEAUTIFUL!!! One of the finest examples of a 35-3 I've seen). The shipper (now selected - I can give their name, but I'd prefer to see how this journey goes first before making any recommendations, not to mention I'd like to glance at the forum rules to see if such things are kosher) said the keel will sit around 6" above the road surface, citing that he's got one of the lowest trailers in the industry. That should keep the overall height below the max 13' 6" required for most states East of the Mississippi even with the pulpits and lifelines installed.
I suppose the only advice I'd appreciate at this point is a suggested list of items to check/secure/do prior to shipping. The shipper has a list, of course, but if there's any "lessons learned" anyone would care to share, I'd much appreciate it. The boat being shipped is by no means an immaculate gem - I'll say that now - so there likely isn't much need to shrink-wrap it or anything. The road grime that will surely accumulate from the trip is the least of its worries. Still, it is quite a serviceable and solid boat, and with the tips I've already received on the forum I hope to get her into tip-top shiny shape and enjoy her for many years.:)

Kindest Regards,
Brian.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
All - Thanks so much for the help! I believe we've got this one solved (at least for the moment) Mort was able to send photos of his E35-3 (which was shipped along a similar route) with pulpit and lifelines still installed (also of note, his boat is BEAUTIFUL!!! One of the finest examples of a 35-3 I've seen). The shipper (now selected - I can give their name, but I'd prefer to see how this journey goes first before making any recommendations, not to mention I'd like to glance at the forum rules to see if such things are kosher) said the keel will sit around 6" above the road surface, citing that he's got one of the lowest trailers in the industry. That should keep the overall height below the max 13' 6" required for most states East of the Mississippi even with the pulpits and lifelines installed.
I suppose the only advice I'd appreciate at this point is a suggested list of items to check/secure/do prior to shipping. The shipper has a list, of course, but if there's any "lessons learned" anyone would care to share, I'd much appreciate it. The boat being shipped is by no means an immaculate gem - I'll say that now - so there likely isn't much need to shrink-wrap it or anything. The road grime that will surely accumulate from the trip is the least of its worries. Still, it is quite a serviceable and solid boat, and with the tips I've already received on the forum I hope to get her into tip-top shiny shape and enjoy her for many years.:)

Kindest Regards,
Brian.

Sounds like you've done a good job of "due diligence" and the result should be good.
About the actual move.... When we had our new-to-us boat trucked from SF to Portland I did learn a few bits of trivia. Main one is the same lesson - on a grander scale - that I knew from driving hundreds of miles trailering our first sailboat. Basically that a teeny tiny bit of constant movement or vibration will cause amazing chafing over many hours/miles.
So go over the deck stuff, if anything remains that can move at all. In our case all of the standing rigging was coiled up and padded and secured inside. We transported the boom, pole, and radar mast separately in a friend's pickup with a roof rack... along with every bit of misc. boat stuff we could jam inside his canopy. 12 hours back to Portland, 95 degrees for a lot of it, and no AC. A "memorable" trip. We trading driving every couple hours.

The yard guys in Alameda wrapped the spar with carpet and plastic. They said they would charge me for the carpet pieces and they did. No duct tape directly on the aluminum, though. They had a lot of experience. Honest folks and thorough.

Be sure - really sure - that your hatches are closed and secured. I know of another boat that had a housetop hatch open up and with all the windage at 60 mph was wrenched off the boat and lost. The trucker will have a key (perhaps) to the Lock on the companionway. When the trucker pulls over to an Interstate rest stop for some sleep you do not want anyone accessing the inside.

Remove any "removable" electronics and transport them separately. We did.

Heavy items like winch handles and snatch blocks can rattle around in a locker and chew up the inside veneer or finishes if not padded.
Mainly, be a bit paranoid about chafing....... more piece of mind and a more predictable outcome with detailed prep.

It's been 20 years so I have probably forgotten a lot, but Mort does this a lot more frequently. Whatever he sez is golden, IMHO.
:egrin:

Regards,
Loren

ps: we did not have to remove any stanchions or pulpits, and our boat draws 6'

Last edited:

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Thanks for the compliments

Brian: All of the shipping answers are spot on......

I did not have the luxury of trucking gear.....(after the cost of shipping...yard bill etc if felt that I had sufficiently depleted the treasury so shipping gear other than in the boat was out.)

What I did to avoid all of the pitfalls of chafing by gear rolling around in the boat was to purchase five large plastic storage boxes at Home Depot for about 5.00 each. I stuffed a lot of stuff into them, wrapped in newspaper (electronics, tools, winch handles, etc) and wedged sail cover, cushions, sails as best I could.

It was a bit messy, but I used duct tape to hold down the hatches.....good thing because they still allowed rain water in....they were not designed to keep water out at 60+ MPH.

Since I had the mast and boom freshly awlgriped, I wrapped them in plastic sheeting, and the trucker put carpeting on the frame of the truck and lashed them down very well.....just one small scratch on the mast.....

I had an old pedestal cover that I tied over the pedestal (I stored the wheel below).......Dorade vents were removed and the plugs put in......Spinnaker pole was stored below as was the rigging...spreaders......in effect.....whatever the hell I could get below....it was a pretty full boat. Also...make sure the cockpit scuppers are OPEN.....

If I think of anything else I will contact you back channel, or if you have more questions contact me either way....

Good Luck