Guest viewing is limited

e35 electrical harness

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Knowledge and Trivia

For those who chose not to read the entire C34 Critical Upgrades pages, here's the one with links to many pictures of just WHY the trailer plugs su*k, big-time:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.msg35943.html#msg35943

LOT's of good material in that large site, in what might be sometimes called the "Universal M25 series diesel engine and also Catalina" forum! :nerd:

Regarding those pricy "mil-spec" plugs.... in the "FWIW" dept, one of those large alum. plugs was installed in the original radar cable that come with our present boat. The installer of the original Apelco radar, in 1988, had needed to cut the cable to the antenna unit and used one of those to put it back together. Lordy, there must have been twenty little teeny wires in that cable (ok, maybe less, but still a Lot).

That cable and plug never had any problem while we had the boat, and I cargo-shifted the whole shebang to another E-boat owner on the right coast when I put in a newer radar. Last report was that the unit and screen, while dim, was all still working.

So those big ol' couplers might be expensive, but at least they will do the job.

Loren

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Electrical harness

I've decided! :egrin:

I'm going to use a 30 amp Blue Sea terminal strip with a common hot coming off the ignition switch (which is now a proper marine switch) with individual wires to each instrument, the glow plug switch, the start switch and the blower switch. individual wires will go to the engine compartment where they will terminate at a Blue Sea 30 amp terminal block at the top of the compartment. They will be protected by a split wiring loom of the appropriate size.Wires will go from the terminal block to the various functions from there. My instuments remove individually so there is no need fore a harness to them

The grounds will be handled in a similar way using the Blue Sea 150 common buss bar instead of having grounds all over the engine. Having all the engine wiring and the grounds in one place (or maybe 2) will making checking any problems out much simpler.

After the engine is settled down and reliable, I will tackle the other areas one by one using the same technique. I know I still have rotted automotive type connectors and terminals all over the place.

Good luck to everyone.

Bob Morrison

Terra Nova Hull# 15

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Now that sounds like a plan... and a good one too! Good luck, and don't scrimp on time or material. Soldered connections with adheasive shrink wrap are time consumming but last more than one season.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Good Plan. (I've got that grounding bus knocking around in a locker - waiting for a rainy day to consolidate all those grounds.)
Don't forget fuses on those circuits. I have been considering using the small Blue Sea ST fuse block instead of terminal strips, or (as at present) scabbing everything onto the back of the ammeter.

And while I'm at it, I'll add permanent lighting in the lazarette and engine compartment.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Barry,

Welcome aboard. Forums usually don't have a billion-dollar search function, so some of us use Google--which usually returns everything on this list anyhow, along with anything else out there. The Catalina owners site has quite a lot on the M25 and XP, since their boats used them also.

Ok, so I misread your blog posting number as your total number of posts, and then addressed you as a small child who was lost in a large department store. Son, you must learn how to search.....

Sorry about that!

Good thread though, learned a lot.

Christian

Emerald

LOT's of good material in that large site, in what might be sometimes called the "Universal M25 series diesel engine and also Catalina" forum! :nerd:

Regarding those pricy "mil-spec" plugs.... in the "FWIW" dept, one of those large alum. plugs was installed in the original radar cable that come with our present boat. The installer of the original Apelco radar, in 1988, had needed to cut the cable to the antenna unit and used one of those to put it back together. Lordy, there must have been twenty little teeny wires in that cable (ok, maybe less, but still a Lot).

That cable and plug never had any problem while we had the boat, and I cargo-shifted the whole shebang to another E-boat owner on the right coast when I put in a newer radar. Last report was that the unit and screen, while dim, was all still working.

So those big ol' couplers might be expensive, but at least they will do the job.

Loren

And the little (or should I say "big"?) Apelco keeps chugging away. Forgot about the dim screen - figured out how to make it brighter....:rolleyes: I would never ever cut that cable or change the ends. I think I was able to pull the pins out of the assembly to fish it more easily through some bulkheads, but it also is a long time ago that I routed that cable, and I can't really remember if I did this or just thought about it. So yes, pricey, but we're what, about 15 years out? - and still working in a maritime environment. Pretty good if I don't say so myself. :egrin:

cawinter

Member III
Right behind you, supersailor!

Bob,

I just pulled out the control panel (another connector in the stbd lazarette that looked very suspicious) and did an in depth (no pun!) dive into the lazarette to see how I can get to the harness. I'll be just a little behind you in the project. While I can't get to the old harness, which is behind the 'wall' underneath the exhaust), I can put in a new one and later remove the old when I pull the holding tank again for whatever reason. Terminal blocks and good-size wires, new instruments (voltage and temp), a couple of lights and buzzers, new panel with good switches and no key...all sounds too easy! :)

Off we go!

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
The Catalina owners site has quite a lot on the M25 and XP, since their boats used them also.

Just to help clarify:

There are three really good sites for M25 engine information, not necessarily in order:

1. www.catalinaowners.com ("The Catalina owners" site). I spend time there, and many of the related engine issues were posted by either me or Maine Sail. Many of the responses I have made there link back to #2

2. www.c34ia.org and the forum included in my previous links. This website also has a "C34 Tech wiki" which includes a tremendous amount of M25 series engine information.

3. Maine Sail's own website

It's also a pleasure hanging out here.

cawinter

Member III
Novatron Panels?

Thanks, Stu. Great sites.

In my quest I have now started to look at replacement engine panels, specifically the Standard Novatron (Universal 301099). None of the usual sources have them anymore (MarineEngineDirect, Torresen, Moyers, ...). :0

I just posted to the 'For Sale and Wanted' Forum here, but I wanted to get this out to this audience as well. Any secret sources, ideas, connections to plastic molding shops...?

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Terra Nova Modified Plan

After reading the responses by Todd, Edd and Chris to my plan, it is modified. The terminal strip at the instrument panel will be replaced by a Blue Sea ST Blade Fuse Block with negative bus and cover. This will make every circut fused and will provide a convient location for the instrument grounds. I will also be able to pick up the hot and ground for the diesel heater. The hot for the heater has an inline fuse in the lazerette. all wires to the engine will still terminate at the top of the engine compartment on a 30 amp terminal strip and be carried to where they need to be from there. I still will use the single grounding bar.

I don't like to put fuses in the engine compartment. This will keep them conviently close to the ignition switch for short handed troubleshooting.:egrin:

Bob

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
Thanks, Stu. Great sites.

In my quest I have now started to look at replacement engine panels, specifically the Standard Novatron (Universal 301099). None of the usual sources have them anymore (MarineEngineDirect, Torresen, Moyers, ...). :0

I just posted to the 'For Sale and Wanted' Forum here, but I wanted to get this out to this audience as well. Any secret sources, ideas, connections to plastic molding shops...?

Chris, Seaward went OFB a year or so ago, but Dennis is still promoting and furnishing their products, depending on stock. Others have used Blue Sea or other panels, or made their own.

From the C36 Forum: (March 2013)

Many, if not all, of our boats are equipped with engine panels, electrical panels and water heaters that were made by Seaward, a long-time supplier to Catalina.

Seaward, based in Whittier, California, is now part of Whale Seaward, based in New Hampshire. The new company no longer sells its panels and parts to individual customers, being focused on the wholesale trade.

But I was pleased to learn that many of the Seaward replacement parts are still available from Dennis Igarashi, a former Seaward employee, who operates at the old Seaward site in Whittier. Dennis has access to a large selection of panels and parts. He was able to supply me with replacement push-on/push-off breakers for the A/C side of my main panel. He is extremely helpful, and I recommend contacting him if you have questions.

His phone is 626-374-6422
His email address is: digarashi@earthlink.net

--Nelson Lee

Last edited:

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
This is another example of why I suggest that those of us with the same engines spend a little time to review the Forums of other boats with the same engines. C34, C36, Ericson... Always good to learn. :)