E35 Universal Diesel Engine Shut Off Change

mizunoman101

Member I
We own a 1984 Ericson 35 III , with an MD25 Universal Diesel. Unlike the Yanmar Diesel in our previous boat, that had a separate engine shutoff switch, the Universal Diesel shutoff switch is part of the throttle. Anyone who has this goofy system, knows that if you throttle down a little too much, the engine shuts off. (this is apparently by design and not due to poor engine throttle adjustment) Has anyone ever tried to remedy this situation, by adding a separate Engine Shutoff Pull switch and adjusting the throttle to where it does not automatically shut down? Just wondering... as I would love to change this system. Thank you in advance for your input and advice.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Took me a moment to get comfortable with that system, but now I find it natural.

The amount of force required to stop the engine with the throttle is adjustable, so if there's an issue of accidentally turning it off, increase the spring tension. See adjustment nut in photo.

2 Pic throttle 1.JPG
Click to increase size

mizunoman101

Member I
Christian... thank you very much! We have owned the boat for 6 years. Because my wife is so uncomfortable with this system, when she takes the wheel, I finally decided to find a solution. I never knew you could adjust the tension. That will be one of my first chores when we get back on the boat when the New England winter is over. HEY... want to thank you for your great videos on YouTube. We enjoy them very much. Be well... stay safe.. and thank you again.

Last edited:

1911tex

Sustaining Member
My '85 E35-3 w/M25 5421 does not cut off with the throttle, never has!...pull throttle to stop and it just purrs at 650 rpm. There is a pull kill switch on the control panel that is designed to do the job, then listening to the buzzer until the key is turned off. Pulling the throttle back resulting in an engine kill seems very dangerous in many circumstances to say the least!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have seen that scheme on an older Yanmar, but did not know that Universal used it on any engines. Our '88 model had the knob with cable pull to stop the engine (activated a lever on the injection pump, just like our 2018 Betamarine -- still a Kubota engine.)

Engines that use that method have a detent with a stronger spring to pull against to stop the engine. Of course all of this stuff may need some maintenance after 30 or 40 years.... I betcha....

mizunoman101

Member I
Thats interesting , how many different variations there are to the same boat. I wish we had the kill switch. The Yanmar on our previous boat had a kill switch and a buzzer... if you throttled all the way down, it just idled at a very low RPM... I wish I could add that feature to this Universal Diesel. But, I am going to take Christian's advice and adjust the spring on the throttle... to prevent accidental shutoff.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I actually love it. No kill switch to bend over for, or cable to replace. If it takes fingertip pressure to change throttle settings, it takes five pounds of pressure to turn the engine off. "Pull harder," I had to tell my daughter.

If easy adjustment of the spring is possible, give it a chance, you may see a benefit. But I guess the throttle itself could be an issue, since it has to be set to close fully, not stop at idle rpms. It might not be set that way if a kill cable was intended.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
The Universal M25 Parts manual shows separate sections for a "Speed Control Plate Group" (p28-29) and an "Engine Stop Lever Group" (p20-21).

I don't have great pics but you can sort of see the two in these photos:

20170413_202215.jpg Throttle lever has the green line over it. Stop lever is circled in yellow.

20170114_115608.jpg Close-up of stop lever (with blue line over it).

My engine used to die when all the way back at idle, but that was just from misadjustment of the throttle cable which had it idling at about 500rpm. You can fix that by repositioning where the lever clamps the cable (or adjusting the threaded ends), or by living with the cable where it is and adjusting the set screws on the speed control plate (they are normally safety-wired in place).

Last edited:

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Just to confirm, my 1986 E35 III with an M25 has the separate pull lever for stopping the engine. Never have had one with it in the throttle.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

mizunoman101

Member I
My '85 E35-3 w/M25 5421 does not cut off with the throttle, never has!...pull throttle to stop and it just purrs at 650 rpm. There is a pull kill switch on the control panel that is designed to do the job, then listening to the buzzer until the key is turned off. Pulling the throttle back resulting in an engine kill seems very dangerous in many circumstances to say the least!
I wonder why two such identical boats, with similar engines have two different engine shut-off mechanisms

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just alternative ways of turning off a diesel by stopping the fuel flow. Neither is dangerous.

A kill cable on a Universal just turns off the fuel. So does a throttle control. Not sure about Yanmars, some engines use a solenoid and a kill switch to do that.

Kill cables are one more thing to go wrong, and most originals probably need to be replaced--they get sticky, like any old Teleflex cable. I've had both and now prefer the throttle setup. But it's a shrug, either system is fine.

mizunoman101

Member I
Just alternative ways of turning off a diesel by stopping the fuel flow. Neither is dangerous.

A kill cable on a Universal just turns off the fuel. So does a throttle control. Not sure about Yanmars, some engines use a solenoid and a kill switch to do that.

Kill cables are one more thing to go wrong, and most originals probably need to be replaced--they get sticky, like any old Teleflex cable. I've had both and now prefer the throttle setup. But it's a shrug, either system is fine.
We are going to readjust the spring tension and go with your system.. seems like it solves the problem of accidental engine shut-off, and it can be accomplished with the existing equipment.

Spudicus

Bit late on the reply here, but just bought my first Ericson.. 1985 35.5 Mk III. Boat runs excellent, and the throttle is set well, but the engine stop cable is a tough pull. I get it, but my wife cannot. Can the tension required on the engine stop be adjusted?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bit late on the reply here, but just bought my first Ericson.. 1985 35.5 Mk III. Boat runs excellent, and the throttle is set well, but the engine stop cable is a tough pull. I get it, but my wife cannot. Can the tension required on the engine stop be adjusted?
That cable on our prior Universal diesel, installed in 1988, was still working but sometimes sort of semi frozen in place when I removed the old engine and allied parts, in 2018. You should probably look into replacing the stop-cable assembly.

I could manage the old stop cable with some carefully applied force, and sometimes the Admiral had real problems with it.

(That was just one of a long high-dollar list of rationalizations for replacing the old drive train. We both decided that the cost of the new engine/trans/panel, cables, etc was fully justified when the conservative estimate of $$ to overhaul all the old parts was well over 50% of the price of starting over with the new Betamarine.)

Engine operations will be easier with a new cable, going forward, and your wife will love you more better, as well. :)

Last edited:

Spudicus

Ok, so adjustment is not an option then?

Now that I think about it, replacing it shouldnt be too difficult, just access being the hardest part.

Thanks

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Ok, so adjustment is not an option then?

Now that I think about it, replacing it shouldnt be too difficult, just access being the hardest part.

Thanks
Disconnect the cable from the stop lever on the engine. If it's just the cable binding, replace the cable. If it's the lever itself, you'll have more work to do.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you search for 'boat diesel stop cables' on the internet there are a lot of choices. I would probably pay a bit more and go with the brand name. Note the the pull knob/handle assembly and cable are purchased as one product. You do have to calculate the length and figure out the attachment to your engine.

Spudicus

If you search for 'boat diesel stop cables' on the internet there are a lot of choices. I would probably pay a bit more and go with the brand name. Note the the pull knob/handle assembly and cable are purchased as one product. You do have to calculate the length and figure out the attachment to your engine.
Thanks for the assist!