E38 muffler?

mark reed

Member III
Anyone had experience repairing or replacing, or retrofitting a muffler on an E38? Mine has an exhaust leak. It is in a nearly inaccessible location, at the bottom forward end of the cockpit locker, between a bulkhead and the holding tank, and under a floorboard, so I don't even know what it looks like yet. Only way leak was detected was to shine a light through the bulkhead from the space under the aft berth, while the engine was running.

Also, any helpful ideas for degreasing the soot in the engine compartment would be appreciated!

stbdtack

Member III
leaking muffler....

My muffler (Universal 5432) had a couple of cracks in the top and water would dribble up through them. I plan on replacing the muffler but in the interim I simply cut a couple of pieces of fiberglass cloth to fit the round top and layed them on with polyester resin. The muffler is made of fiberglass anyway so the resin sticks nicely (wiped it down with acetone first) It's not pretty but no leaks now.

A leaking muffler can allow carbon monoxide into the cabin and can be deadly (more dangerous with a gas engine) Be careful if yours is leaking!!!!!

They are reasonably cheap considering how long they last so I'm replacing mine soon. Available at West , just get the hose size and configurationto fit.

Mine was right at the bottom of the cockpit locker and easy to get to. Yours sounds more difficult, maybe think about relocating??
Check the exhaust hoses too, they can delaminate from the inside and constrict flow. It's pricey stuff but once every 20 or so years isn't bad.

mark reed

Member III
E38 muffler followup to earlier post

Our 1988 E38-200 turns out to have a Vernalift fiberglass water lift muffler, about 7 "wide and 9" high. It developed a leak where the inlet hose attaches. Vernalift no longer makes a model this size, so we are having a local (Newport, OR) fabricator make one up to match the old one, for about $125.
Hardest part of this job was just accessing the muffler, which was under a floorboard just inboard of the holding tank in the cockpit lazarette. Had to remove house battery bank, several water hoses, and bilge blower hose.