E38 Sleeping Arrangements

wheelerwbrian

Member III
I have a 1988 38-200 and there is a cushion on board that looks like it would fit the top of the dining table, making me think that there is some way to lower that table so that the port salon settee would convert to a bed. But there are no fiddles to support the table.

Any guidance/comments on this?

Thanks.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Double berth

Yup, that cusion is what makes up your double berth.

Under the table you will find black knobs at the top of the two aluminum support poles. Loosen the knobs, and then pull up smartly on the table and it will come free of the poles (or the poles will come out of the floor). Then remove the poles and store them out of the way. Then take the three cusions that make up the port seteee and tip them up on edge to get some room to work, and you will see that the table fits into the opening between the top rim of the settee and the mast. Put the three cushions back in place, and wedge that extra cusion in the vacant space to creat your double berth. You don't need fiddles really because the table rests on top of the lip of the settee.

On some of the 38s there is some settling of the floor that has been discussed at length elsewhere on this board. That same settling can make the fit for the table quite tight, as the settling can push the inboard edge of the port settee a bit closer to the mast than originally designed. Which can make the fit for the table top very tight and difficult. The solution to this problem (if your boat has it) is to remove the fiddles from the bottom of the table (which I did on mine) which are there to keep the table centered in the opening. Don't worry, as you don't seem to need those underside fiddles for it to work well.

This bunk is by far the best sleeping location when underway on the 38. We never mounted a lee cloth, but found that a couple of wedge cusions worked well to wedge the off-watch crew up against the outside cushions. (A lee cloth on the starboard bunk would work better, but you need access to that bunk to use the nav station.)

Last edited:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
nice bunk...

ours actually stays down most of the time in "bunk" mode... it makes a great dog bed and a fantastic spot to store bags, sails, etc... while underway.
Now you just need to find a good spot to store those pesky table legs :devil:
Chris

wurzner

Member III
Wow,

Our 38 has fitting on the table that slides into a mating fitting on the mast with no legs. I typically keep all the cushions off either the center and v berth or center and aft berth and store the sails in the two bunks that are cushionless.

shaun

u079721

Contributing Partner
Chris Miller said:
ours actually stays down most of the time in "bunk" mode... it makes a great dog bed and a fantastic spot to store bags, sails, etc... while underway.
Now you just need to find a good spot to store those pesky table legs :devil:
Chris

What we did that worked pretty well was to wrap each of the legs in a sheet of that sticky rubber shelf protector, and then tie the two legs together with a bit of line. You can then just store them alongside the settee under the bunk - they are wrapped to protect the cabin sole, and the sticky rubber keeps them from sliding around.

We too kept the table down and the bunk made up most of the time. In addition to storing the table legs, the room under the bunk is a great place to store all your shoes and boots out of the way.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Chart tubes

I'm actually working on some webbing with velcro on each end that will go over the chart tubes in the nav station. The legs fit great in there, just have to keep them secure when under way. We use chart books for detail and gps for the bigger picture, so the chart tubes go mostly unused. I'm thinking the cockpit table legs might go inside them too.
Now if I could just find a spot for the cockpit table itself---
Oh well, I just have to move it when I take a shower, which isn't too often when cruising anyway:devil:
Thanks for the other idea, Steve, I'll give that a try as well!
Chris

mark reed

Member III
great idea

Thanks for that idea, Chris. I've always wondered what I could use those dumb chart tubes for! :)