E38 toerail scuppers?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I am wondering if other E38's have the same issues mine has regarding the toerail scuppers. Simply put, they are not in the best location!

On my E38 there is a scupper/drain at the aft-most section of the toerail and one about midships. The boat "lies" in the water, loaded or otherwise such that rainwater, ice, etc. all just pool up between these two drains. The worrisome thing is several stanchion bases are immersed when this happens.

I don't see an easy solution to this issue. Modifying the toerail would require removing the track bolted to to it. I have though of taking a holesaw to the rail, at deck height and then epoxying a fiberglass tube into the hole to reseal the core/interior of the rail. Just one on each side, even just 3/4" would do the trick.

Any thoughts on this?

RT

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Rob,

I have the same condition on my older boat. I don't know when it changed, but 1984 comes to mind. Might do a search because it's been discussed here before. Someone should be able to get you a measurement for the revised configuration, just for a reference. I don't know if the toerail is solid, but if it isn't, that increases the problem of sealing the edges once you've cut the section out.

Best regards,

Glyn Judson

Scuppers in the wrong place.

Rob & Craig, This is where Marty King should chime in. He too noticed the same thing on his E31 hull #22 and solved it by fitting bronze scupper drains in the side deck. When all is said and done, a nice job and not too difficult or at least he made it look that way. I believe he has the lines Teed to the cockpit scupper lines. Maybe he could include a few photos. What say Marty? Later, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Deck Drains

Glyn is correct. The toerail on the 31 is wood not glass and the
factory just bored holes in it for scuppers-an expedient solution
for them but difficult for the poor boatowner who has to somehow
keep water from wicking into the exposed end grain. Having managed
to scarf in 14 ' of new rail p&s, I decided to go with deck drains teed
into the cockpit scuppers. They get rid of most but not all of the
runoff and with an intact rail, eliminate the hull streaking. I was
fortunate in that the point where the water pooled on deck fell
directly over interior cabinetry in which you could hide the
fittings and hoses- although I had a battle with my wife for
space in "her" galley. Regarding the 38, I would opt for this
approach rather than mess with the toe rail.

Martin