E38 Wanted

wduncan

My wife and I are looking for a crusing boat and like the Ericson 38, we have been unable to find one in the condition we want at a price we can afford. If any one is thinking about selling their E38, are on the east coast or Gulf perhaps we can deal without a broker and both come out ahead.

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
wduncan...the 38 is a nice one......some great deals ocasssionally hittin the market...but....they always seem to be in ports that require a long sail/motor or move via truck.......what years are you looking at?...where and what type of cruising do you see yourself doing?...good luck !! richard / colorado:egrin:

wduncan

We are looking at boats from 1980 through 1990, we like the original layout the best with the head forward and the two seats and small table to starboard. Our plans are to quit work next year around June and start cruising, first the north east coast until after hurricane season then the Bahamas. We hope to do this for at least two years, if we like it and the money holds maybe much longer. We are also looking at other boats besides the Ericson 38 and may make an offer on an Gulfstar 39 Sailmaster.

rbonilla

right on...sounds like a plan....remember..around 1982-1983 the molds changed and , imho, got much better...rounded corners, misc storage and lockers, etc....i am looking at the e38's from around 1983 on up...i think the camel hump seat is the "dead giveaway" thats in a "newer" mold for the deck and stuff...i doubt the hull changed much (if any)....i guess the three types of keels are what would differ under the waterline.....good luck !!!....:egrin:

We are looking at boats from 1980 through 1990, we like the original layout the best with the head forward and the two seats and small table to starboard. Our plans are to quit work next year around June and start cruising, first the north east coast until after hurricane season then the Bahamas. We hope to do this for at least two years, if we like it and the money holds maybe much longer. We are also looking at other boats besides the Ericson 38 and may make an offer on an Gulfstar 39 Sailmaster.

wduncan

Very nice looking boat, but it is more than we want to spend, we're trying to stay under $80,000 preferably well under. The more we spend on the boat the less time we get to cruise until the money runs out. Thanks anyway.

rbonilla

ah yes...a bit on the pricy side...but she l@@ks to be in top shape...very nice photos...good luck w/the sale......:egrin:

Very nice looking boat, but it is more than we want to spend, we're trying to stay under $80,000 preferably well under. The more we spend on the boat the less time we get to cruise until the money runs out. Thanks anyway.

Trucker Doug

Member II
I took a long look at Mr. Henery's boat before going to Tampa to buy the one I bought. It IS a very nice well maintained boat with alot of the better stuff aboard. As with the original poster, it was alot more than the budget was ready for. Now, after buying the boat I did, I'm begining to realize by the time I have mine finished it will be a coin toss on which one would have been actually less expensive.

rbonilla

Doug, I imagine once you have the e38 the way you want it, one will spend a lot of $$ on any e38 that is not already equiped and maintained properly ... A shopper may be $ ahead, just paying more "up front" for the pristine, well equiped and maintained e38's out there ... imho ... nothin' new here .. you still get what you pay for....

:0305_coff

I took a long look at Mr. Henery's boat before going to Tampa to buy the one I bought. It IS a very nice well maintained boat with alot of the better stuff aboard. As with the original poster, it was alot more than the budget was ready for. Now, after buying the boat I did, I'm begining to realize by the time I have mine finished it will be a coin toss on which one would have been actually less expensive.

Trucker Doug

Member II
That was my point. I had brought back my 30+ to be very nice with just enthusiasm and elbow. The 38 is a much bigger challenge just because of volume and more systems. If I had it to do over I'd just buy nicer from the start. Lesson learned.

rbonilla

yea, right on Trucker...esp if we factor what our time and effort is worth..in $$...along w/just "time off the water" ....

That was my point. I had brought back my 30+ to be very nice with just enthusiasm and elbow. The 38 is a much bigger challenge just because of volume and more systems. If I had it to do over I'd just buy nicer from the start. Lesson learned.