Early production Independence

JPS27

Member III
I have come across an ericson model I always keep my eye out for simply because it just strikes a chord. 31C. However, I've also learned a lot from buying a project boat that I didn't realize was a project until after the fact. And this site has wised me up quite a bit since that fateful day in 2012. I've read all I can about the Independence on this site. So I'm generally aware of the pros and cons. I'm curious about the following before I consider taking a 2.5hr drive to see it.
  • It is an early run model, hull #7. Is this potentially an issue? As in, did they fix problems on the later Independence models? This is not a cutter model. Apparently the "c" was for "cruising" from what I can gather.
  • What other design features on this model do owners wish they didn't have to deal with? I've read about engine access and rudder clunking.
  • This boat has a Bukh DV20 diesel that the listing says is original. But info I have found lists the westerbeke as orig. Either way it's an old diesel with a reputation for expensive parts. Otherwise not a bad rep. But I am slightly traumatized from serious engine issues early on with my 27. Something to be concerned about?
I'm looking for reasons not to look at this boat! here's the listing if anyone else is interested. Seems like it's worth a visit for someone. Or no? https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/washington-1977-ericson-31c-cruising/7317011230.html
Jay

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Was it built with teak decks, which have been removed? If she never had teak decks, that's ideal. If she did, be sure to check if the deck has wet spots that weren't fixed when the teak was removed.
Otherwise, since you're in the market for this model, what's not to like about a 2.5-hr drive, on a nice spring day, with an interesting boat tour thrown in for fun. At that price, and apparent condition, you might be hunting for a surveyor the same afternoon. Good luck!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

Probably way too far away for you, but I did observe this boat from the dock a couple weeks ago. Very clean, and I know the yard that has professionally maintained it over the years.
Beautiful design!
:)

JPS27

Member III
Was it built with teak decks, which have been removed? If she never had teak decks, that's ideal. If she did, be sure to check if the deck has wet spots that weren't fixed when the teak was removed.
Otherwise, since you're in the market for this model, what's not to like about a 2.5-hr drive, on a nice spring day, with an interesting boat tour thrown in for fun. At that price, and apparent condition, you might be hunting for a surveyor the same afternoon. Good luck!
Thanks, nquigley. a good question to ask and observe. I did not know about that teak decks were installed in some. I'll add that to my list of questions.
Thanks, Loren. Yes, that's a bit far to travel. But I have seen and admired that vessel.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I set out to buy a green-hull 31 in Oceanside, CA, eight years ago. I brought my checkbook.

The owner said it had sold within the hour of listing.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
This one won't last long either - if the pics are recent, the brightwork on deck is beautiful. New-looking Force10 propane stove, nice inflatable & outboard, dodger, solar panels on arch, good sail inventory and ground tackel (incl elec windlass), fridge, Hydrovane available for a little more, etc, etc. I'd be over there in a flash if I didn't have my lovely boat.

JPS27

Member III
nquigley, i was just about to reply that it must be sold already. But the owner just emailed me. So we're on. I'm going to visit it on my own tomorrow. He's out of town, but left the key with the marina folks.

Some questions: Does the that diesel make people nervous? I've never heard of that brand.

And that wheel steering looks old school. Anyone have any thoughts on how that works/feels? The boat doesn't seem to have autopilot. how might that fit on such a wheel?

While all windvanes have their pros and cons, promoters and detractors, what I like about what I've read about the Hydrovane, is it's relative simplicity to install. Seems like something I could do without too many expletives.

I plan on looking at all the things I didn't see and couldn't see because I had no idea what look for 10 years ago.

Thanks for the advice. I'll report back afterwards.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I saw the Bukh factory engine display at the Seattle Boat Show in 1977; seemed to be a well regarded engine in Europe, but not well known here. For current info, I would have to ask Siri......
:)

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Hull painted and new bottom done right 6 months ago..plus inflatable w/outboard cost most likely almost the asking price!

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Bukh are well known European diesel manufacturer. They supply a lot of lifeboat engines. The only sailboats in NA that have used them as standard equipment that I can recall was CS (Canadian Sailcraft) a Canadian builder. I looked at a few CS boats before I bought my EY and got rave reviews about the Bukh engines. That being said these were by people selling boats, and not sure how easy(or hard) parts are to get. I would google Bukh parts and see if there are any US suppliers.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
In answer to your first question, I would have no qualms about an early E31C. Most of the E31's were sloop rigged. I'm not sure when exactly and Glyn would know this, but around the mid 20's a few changes were implemented based on owner surveys and the brand then became"Independence by Ericson". Many of these versions were cutter rigged with a bowsprit and the ports were changed from fixed ellipses, to opening rectangles. Also the galley got an additional cabinet / counter space resulting in a shortened berth on the port side. Other changes included revamped nav station which affected the lazarette / quarterberth.

Martin

Smdckr

I’m a little pressed for time at the moment but I own #53. Looking at the pictures and the boat I say BUY IT! It’s a lovely boat. I just finished replacing rotted core on mine but it wasn’t as huge of a deal as one would think and she’s good for another 41 years.

Feel free to message me or email me and I’m happy to talk to you about the boat. I’m no expert but I am a big fan of the design.

smdckr@hotmail.com

Steve

JPS27

Member III
Update. I visited the boat today. I decided to pass on it. While the "bones" appear solid, there are many of the typical projects still yet to be done. And considering that I am nearing the end of completing those same projects on my current e27, I can't stomach the thought of jumping into a situation where the same projects await me. The 31c is a beauty and this ones hull paint job is sweet. Thanks for the pointers on this boat.