Easylock clutches/handles replacements

sailingdeacon

Member III
At least some of the Ericsons used Easylock rope clutches. The units on my 1987 Ericson 34 had several. Over time the plastic handles break. The handle replacements can be bought at Rig-Rite.

www.rigrite.com Phone 401-739-1140

They have handles for all the Easylock models and a few of the original clutches. Easylock is out of business. While these are not cheap they are less than new clutches.

sailingdeacon

Member III
Loren, the site you mentioned does not actually have the clutches. When you go through the ordering process, they then email a bunch of other vendors to see if they have the item. I tried it and will see what happens.

sailingdeacon

Member III
Loren, I shudda waited! From one vendor I got an offer for handles $4 cheaper. I just ordered 4 yesterday at the other place. Patience, patience. I need it.

Midi single clutch $87.75 each
Midi handle $10.60 each

Pyacht.com Phone: 410-268-9696
222 Severn Avenue Toll Free: 877-379-2248
Annapolis, MD 21403 FAX: 410-268-9625

BUT.... there is an old model handle as well as a new model. I dont know if they had the old handle that I needed.

Postscript: After being shipped the new model handle from Rig-Rite (rather than the old style Midi handle) even thoughRig-Riter listed the old model number on the invoice, I have decided one must be very particular when ordering these handles. Make sure you are getting the exact replacement. Pyacht and another vendor listed handles much less expensive, but gave no indication of whether it was for the new or old models. I expect it was for the new model. Rig-Rite defiinitely has handles for all models but is considerably more expensive.

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I am thinking now that I have gone to the trouble of removing the bloody clutch to replace the broken handle that I may just replace the whole damn clutch as the internals wear and these aren't the greatest clutches when they are in good working order. Problem is it looks like the mounting holes are different for all other brands. I'm trying to decide between lewmar and spinlock although it looks like Easylock has a new and improved version of the MIDI...

http://www.pyacht.net/cgi-local/Sof...idi.htm?L+scstore+cdnf0563ff27e227+1131495096

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I ended up buying a new Spinlock clutch verses replacing the broken handle as this clutch gets a lot of use (main halyard). I epoxyed up the old holes and the new clutch has a similar footprint but different bolt pattern. I have a friend who works at Pyacht.com, funny he and I worked at Bacons years ago, he sent me a PDF with the specs for the handles, I have attached. Pyacht can get the handles for 10.50 plus shipping. The main reason I chose to upgrade was that the easylock clutches are not very smooth opening even when clean and lubed (IMHO) and they dont work as well with todays high tech cored lines. (both MHO and several riggers I know HO)

If anyone is interested in the old easylock midi double clutch I have (with one broken handle) let me know.

Attachments

• Easylock_handles__1_.pdf
    177.8 KB · Views: 484