Edson Pedestal wheel brake, 1985 Ericson 30plus

rogerfern

Member II
I owe a 1985, Ericson 30+ , looking for pedestal wheel brake, contacted Edson, apparently models build this year do not have a wheel brake kit available.
Any advice, suggestions on home build wheel brake? it would make it easier during solo sailing
Thank you
Roger

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
As far as single handing, which I do a lot, I don't think I could do it without an Autohelm. If I had to choose which is more of an asset when single handed, brake or Auto I'd go with Autohelm. It steers not only much of the time sailing but also when I am dropping and folding the main or heating up soup or coffee or whenever I am off the helm. Just a thought.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A wheel pilot does solve it all.

A length of shock cord around the binnacle would work. Trouble is, our boats don't go straight for long.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Probably an unnecessary question, but........

Since thru the 80's EY was installing Yacht Services ("YS") pedestals on their boats, are you certain that you have an Edson?
I only ask because our '88 and a friend's 86 Ericson have YS pedestal steering systems.

rogerfern

Member II
Pedestal

Since thru the 80's EY was installing Yacht Services ("YS") pedestals on their boats, are you certain that you have an Edson?
I only ask because our '88 and a friend's 86 Ericson have YS pedestal steering systems.

Yes, Edson, Serial 73034, I've contacted Edson, apparently there were some boats where these were installed
Thanks
Roger