Engine height

polackrm

Member I
When I had a new Yanmar 20GM installed in my 1973 E-29 the exhaust raw water mixing U-tube sticks up so high that I am losing that part of the quarter berth cutting it down from a double to a single. Is there any way to lower this unit and maybe install a one way valve into the exhaust so I won't ship water back into the exhaust while sailing? Has anyone else run into this problem? I bought this motor after being told by the Yanmar dealer that this was an almost bolt in replacement for my Atomic 4, if this was an almost bolt in replacement I would hate to see what a non bolt in replacement would require in order to install it. Thanks for any help or suggestions that anyone can give me. I really like this boat but just hate to have to lose this space, I can always build over it and turn it into storage, but well........

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Look at the Yanmar web site and check It looks like they have a down turned exhaust for the 20 that would dump exhaust and the cooling water downward. I believe the water line is about the level of the wood engine cover on my 29, above the top of the engine. I don't know how a water lift muffler works but that and a riser loop placed in the port locker between the muffler and the exhaust outlet in the transom might solve your problem.

If not see if you can get a horizontal elbow and extension to move the riser into the port locker as the hot pipe and mixing box was on the A4. The pipe is a double wall with exhaust in the inner and the outer is the path for the cooling water.

The best thing an Ericson owner will find is his boat, second best is this web site.
Buffett18r@direcway.com

chaco

Member III
Wet Exhaust / Dry Exhaust

The original exhaust on a lot of Ericsons was the Atomic-4 / Dry Exhaust
system. The exhaust went in to a jacketed heat exchanger, was cooled
and sent out DRY with NO lift station. This system failed rapidly due to heat
and corrosion of the heat exchanger :eek:
The solution was the current wet exhaust sytem used today.
Check out the Vernalift website (www.centekindustries.com) and the
attached Install Guide. Also review the discussions in "35-2 Diesel Repower"
We have been looking at the problems associated with repower from A-4
to current diesel engines and improvements for the A-4.
I am currently doing a re-repower on the E35-II and have asked a lot of the
same questions with excellent help from folks that have BEEN THERE :D
Water is injected in to your exhaust to cool it down #1 and to provide a
muffler #2. The water/exhaust is pushed in and out of the lift station with
exhaust pressure. The whole idea is to keep water and water vapor OUT
of your engine during this process :devil: /) /)

Good Luck on your projects :egrin: :egrin:

Attachments

• V_liftinstallation_000.pdf
    82.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited: