• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Engine Overhaul

Andy Schildhorn

Trying to figure out which is the best way to go. Have an old Yanmar 2QM20H 20hp Diesel in our 1979 Ericson 35. Should I be considering a rebuild or look at a newer motor? Thanks for any advice on this one.

Andy

Andy Schildhorn

No, I do not have the tools or knowledge. If I went with a different motor how badly would that complicate everything? The present motor is quite old

Emerald

Hi Andy,

The age of the engine is OK for a rebuild. The biggest issue you'll find with some of these vintage Yanmars is certain parts are becoming more difficult/costly to find. I believe you can get everything needed to rebuild one currently. I had a similar vintage 2QM15 in Emerald, which I only replaced with a 3GM30 in search for much needed power (the Independence 31 is 11,400 lbs). Especially if you are not doing your own work, switching engines is going to drive your cost up considerably - not only will mounts have to be redone, but usually prop shaft length, and if your torque/hp and RPM limits aren't the same, a new/reworked propeller as well. The 3GM30 is a close foot print and easy conversion from the 2QM15, and with all that going for it, there was still a bit of work involved. It should be far cheaper to find someone good to pull and rebuild what you have, if it really needs it. Does the current engine have any issues, or are you just being proactive due to age and general unknown history?

Last edited:

Andy Schildhorn

Overhaul or New

Starting to get nervous with it. Having throttle issues etc. Sounds like should stay the course and look to rebuild. Not something I want to do this year. Maybe next winter however its a pain if you lose motor power and need to be towed in. Had some water and other issues with the fuel tank and was towed several times. Past that now. Our good vessal sat for a year and was not loved before our ownership
Andy

Emerald

These little engines are pretty solid and seem to just keep going. Make sure all filters, fuel and oil, are kept up with, water pump impeller replaced regularly, that your control cable cases and linkage etc. are all good and smooth operating, and perhaps see if you can get a good mechanic to do a valve adjustment if this is unknown. With the valve cover off, you'll be able to see rockers and some wear points, general dirt etc. and someone competent should be able to give you some feel on your past maintenance. Throw a compression test in, and you might be surprised on how much life is still in her.

hodo

Member III
Simple easy test, take an oil sample and have it tested. you can also have the coolant sampeled and tested.
Harold

Andy Schildhorn

Found same Yanmar that presently in our boat

Found a Yanmar 2QM20H that was rebuilt last year at this time. Been stored in a garage since then. Any thoughts on how to check this out. Owner says he has reciept. A little concerned that its been sitting for a year. Can I bench test it? He is asking $1,750.