Engine water cooling not circulating

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
In salt water, this can happen if the engine isn't run frequently enough. This is the result of one season of use and two consecutive seasons of sitting at the dock. The impeller is a Globe 815.

View attachment 35625
My impeller looked new ( and engine used average 2x month ) . The failure point was inside the hub. The pump shaft turned freely while the blades didn’t move . I had a black one but used the blue global as a replacement. Just ordered a spare and will replace again annually . ( I also replace o-ring ) .

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
In salt water, this can happen if the engine isn't run frequently enough. This is the result of one season of use and two consecutive seasons of sitting at the dock. The impeller is a Globe 815.

View attachment 35625
Good point. FWIW, I pass along this suggestion from Rob at Depco Pump. Last year he mentioned to me that it's a good thing to do a freshwater flush, ideally with dish soap in it, particularly if the boat is going to sit for a while. He said that this is good not only for the impeller but also for the pump seals.

In my case, my Yanmar 1GM is a raw-water cooled engine, and so I have fitted it with a Y-valve so I can draw in fresh water from a bucket to rinse it out after (ideally) each use. This is to help keep the engine internals free of salt, but it also takes care of the pump/impeller issue at the same time. Perhaps those of you with FW cooled engines might want to set up something like this for at least occasional flushing of the pump and impeller.

Note that my boat is in salt water, so maybe this is not as crucial on a freshwater lake.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Thanks Loren , I wasn’t aware of alternator bracket and original valves / fittings . I’ll put on list to replace .
Hey Loren, btw, is the right pump supposed to be to pump the ice box out ? I have not tried to use it yet...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hey Loren, btw, is the right pump supposed to be to pump the ice box out ? I have not tried to use it yet...
I will send a link to a 33RH owner that I know.
(So, when you operate that pump, what happens?) :)

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I will send a link to a 33RH owner that I know.
(So, when you operate that pump, what happens?) :)
Nothing..but I have not tried to put water in the icebox to pump it out if that’s what it does..it seems odd to have a separate pump just for an icebox drain, but that’s what it looks like - the way I see it connected. I ultimately want to convert the icebox to a fridge - but it’s lower on the list.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On many Ericsons the foot pumps have multiple roles: tank water, salt water, icebox water. The choice is made with a selector valve in the pumbing.

Last edited:

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I see , so either ice box pump out or salt water into faucet on sink ? I know the left pump which I use is fresh water from water tank to separate sink faucet.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
It's likely the icebox-drain / saltwater-to-spigot pump then. The combo is useful for winterization: Put enough RV water-line antifreeze in the icebox to pump thru the saltwater spigot. Now the icebox drain, pump, and saltwater spigot are freeze protected.

shepherdsond

Member I
On my E33 the right pump either pumps outside water (salt if at sea) to the sink or pumps water out of the coolbox into the sink depending on the position if through hull and cool box valves. One thing to watch out for is that if you have the through hull open and somehow forgot to close the cool box valve, the coolbox fills up to the water line with outside water - then you hope the coolbox does not leak!

windblown

Member III
On my E33 the right pump either pumps outside water (salt if at sea) to the sink or pumps water out of the coolbox into the sink depending on the position if through hull and cool box valves. One thing to watch out for is that if you have the through hull open and somehow forgot to close the cool box valve, the coolbox fills up to the water line with outside water - then you hope the coolbox does not leak!
Yes! We had that happen at launch two years ago (coolbox filling rather efficiently with lake water). If the through hull and coolbox drain are open, any attempt to drain the coolbox using the foot pump has the opposite effect: it pumps water into the coolbox, accelerating the siphon effect.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Good point. FWIW, I pass along this suggestion from Rob at Depco Pump. Last year he mentioned to me that it's a good thing to do a freshwater flush, ideally with dish soap in it, particularly if the boat is going to sit for a while. He said that this is good not only for the impeller but also for the pump seals.

In my case, my Yanmar 1GM is a raw-water cooled engine, and so I have fitted it with a Y-valve so I can draw in fresh water from a bucket to rinse it out after (ideally) each use. This is to help keep the engine internals free of salt, but it also takes care of the pump/impeller issue at the same time. Perhaps those of you with FW cooled engines might want to set up something like this for at least occasional flushing of the pump and impeller.

Note that my boat is in salt water, so maybe this is not as crucial on a freshwater lake.

Excellent point about the fresh water flush (with soap!). We sometimes use the boat in the winter, so we don't winterize.

My strainer output used to have a flush fitting inline, but the plumbing was confusing. When I re-plumbed after replacing all the thru-hulls and ball valves, I left the flush fitting out. However, it is easy to pull off a hose and flush the system. For most of us the pump is right on the front of the engine. Another feature of the 202M-7 is a tapered thread drain plug in the bottom of the impeller chamber. I forget it's there because it's hard to see. That is another way to easily drain off salt water if the boat is going to sit all winter.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
On many Ericsons the foot pumps have multiple roles: tank water, salt water, icebox water. The choice is made with a selector valve in the pumbing.

Confused here...I also have the left fresh tank water foot pump and right sea (lake) water foot pump. Why would anyone want to pump sea water into the sink instead of fresh tank water?

Number 72 on my top 10 to do list: Shutting off the sea water input into the right foot pump and putting a "y" on the left fresh water tank foot pump intake and connecting it to the right foot pump to use as a fresh tank water backup foot pump in case the left foot pump decides to retire. Really confused here.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I use salt water for initial dish washing, rinse of dusty boat shoes etc., and to make pasta (add half fresh water). Preserves water reserves.