Guest viewing is limited

Ericson 23 Forward Hatch Question

dan.utinske

Member I
I'm new owner of a seaworthy fixer upper - 1976 Ericson 23' and I love it. I'm looking to replace or repair the forward hatch cover; the plexiglass is scratched and the fiberglass around the window mount brackets on the cover are deteriorated. My measurements indicate 23.25 x 19.5" opening size. Does anyone know where I can find replacement or what kind of place does the repairs?

Thanks,

Dan

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Dan, welcome to the site. I thought your name sounded like a familiar hang glider name. Checked out your profile and low and behold 30+ year HG pilot. I came to sailing though hang gliding and appreciate the crossover discipline from HG to sailing.

Do you have any photos of your hatch? I had an E23 mk1 and the hatch was a one piece fiberglass unit, no lens.

Last edited:

dan.utinske

Member I
Hi Dan, welcome to the site. I thought your name sounded like a familiar hang glider name. Checked out your profile and low and behold 30+ HG pilot. I came to sailing though hang gliding and appreciate the crossover discipline from HG to sailing.

Do you have any photos of your hatch? I had an E23 mk1 and the hatch was a one piece fiberglass unit, no lens.

I will be going out to the boat this evening and will take photos of the hatch. It also has a hinge pin missing the attachment hardware but I can do any mechanical repairs. I'm probably trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear but it is a sleek looking boat and handles like a dream. I have it docked at Port Orchard, WA and I live in Gig Harbor.

I did live in the bay area for a couple years and flew at Funston/Westlake, Mission and other surrounding flying sites; actually made my first 100 hours in the air at Funston (way back when). I've played with sailing off and on over the years, wind surfing, 14' Holders and day sailing (Hawaii) and thought if the day came where I slowed my flying that sailing would take its place and here I am.

Thanks for the response and happy sailing!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A rare bunch. I have about 100 HG hours over Southern Cal, Sylmar to Elsinore. Often while rigging the hang glider for launch, stuffing battens, adjusting the vang (VG) at 6,000 feet, feeling for thermals as we look for puffs on the water, the kinship with racing dinghies was very strong.

I wish more people knew hang gliding. When I retired from it six years ago there were only about 5,000 left int he US. Of all sports it is the most attuned to wind, the most personal, the most astonishing in what you can do with gear you can carry on your shoulder. Soaring is so much like sailing, and yet so few are lucky enough to get to do it.

Emerald

A rare bunch. I have about 100 HG hours over Southern Cal, Sylmar to Elsinore. Often while rigging the hang glider for launch, stuffing battens, adjusting the vang (VG) at 6,000 feet, feeling for thermals as we look for puffs on the water, the kinship with racing dinghies was very strong.

I wish more people knew hang gliding. When I retired from it six years ago there were only about 5,000 left int he US. Of all sports it is the most attuned to wind, the most personal, the most astonishing in what you can do with gear you can carry on your shoulder. Soaring is so much like sailing, and yet so few are lucky enough to get to do it.

I think it's a whole lot easier to embrace the thought of going splash versus splat when it all goes wrong that keeps people sailing but not hang gliding :rolleyes:

Gregoryulrich

Member III
I took up hang gliding for a while at Mt. Kagel (you can't make stuff like that up!) when the cost of av gas and plane rentals started going up. I thought it a natural extension of surfing. I wish I stuck with it.

dan.utinske

Member I
Hi Dan, welcome to the site. I thought your name sounded like a familiar hang glider name. Checked out your profile and low and behold 30+ year HG pilot. I came to sailing though hang gliding and appreciate the crossover discipline from HG to sailing.

I have attached photos of the ugly hatch!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 33
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 37
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 50
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg