Ericson 30+ or 32

jmageras

First off, I am very happy to have found such an informative site.

I am in the market for a family sailboat, and very impressed with what I have read about Ericson yachts. They appear well made and are certainly pretty to look at (important).

We are a novice sailing family of six, with four children ranging in age from 5 to 13. I am the only one with any sailing experience.

The size of our family necessitates a larger craft. I would appreciate any opinions on the 30+ or 32. I do not want to consider anything larger - I am nervous enough taking on a 30 footer (all my experience is with daysailers).

Again I would appreciate advice and opinions (suitability, sailing characteristics, etc.) from anyone experienced with these boats. Thank you.

Jim Mageras
Darien, CT

escapade

Inactive Member
Jim;
Having owned a 30+ for 8 years I would recommend a 34 or 38 for a family of 6!! The 30+ is a great boat, goes to weather like an all out race boat, and in general is a real fun boat to sail or cruise on for 2 people. You have a V-berth that is just big enough for a 6' person, the dinette will make down into a double, the settee will sleep 1 cramped (narrow) and the quarterberth will sleep 1 adult or 2 SMALL children. Storage is at a premium. We cut openings in the backs of the settee's to store canned goods, etc.Turned the hanging locker into shelves for storage, and the water tank which leaked we turned into storage (put a bladder tank under V-berth). A 32-200 (aft cabin layout) or larger would serve you much better if the budget will handle it. Decide which is the largest boat you can afford , then buy one one size larger! Learning to handle a larger boat comes real quick. Just don't approach the dock any faster than you want to hit it and you won't have any problems. Good luck, have fun looking , and if you would like to know any more about the 30+ feel free to contact me. I presently own an E34, by the way. Good luck!! Bud

ccorcoran

Member II
Both Good Choices

Congratulations!

You're right, Ericsons are fine boats (I've owned three). While there are more than a few very experienced sailors on this site, I thought I'd offer my .02. Both the 30+ and 32s are great boats. I assume you're talking about the later models of both (post 1984). The 30+ is a fractional rig and very roomy for a 30. Natuarlly, all the typical quality and sailing attributes are part of the the 30+; It's a surpirsingly fast boat, stable up wind and the accomodations are first rate. Given the size of your family, I might suggest the 32. It is a mast head rig and boasts a good deal more beam, displacement and waterline. It's a very stable boat and handles weather with the aplomb of much larger boats. There is even a later model with an aft cabin/aft head configuration. I suggest you try looking physically at both boats. With a reasonable amount of sailing experience (and, in the absence of a death wish, such as taking off on the first day for a trans-oceaninc passage), you'll find that the individual boats each have thehir own speacial charm. One more thing, try buying a beat located in the waters you intend to sail; equipment and configutation vary wildly from boat to boat and region to region. Good luck and - IMHO - you can't go wrong with either boat.

jmageras

30+ or 32 or 34?

Many thanks for your input. Tell me, was there a "golden period" for Ericson yachts? A range of years where the construction quality and attention to detail was exceptional - even by Ericson standards. How do 70's Ericsons compare to 80's?

Also, when did Pacific Seacraft take over the manufacturing? Thanks again.

Jim Mageras
Darien, CT :cheers: (you have to love this icon)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I believe that '89 or '90 was the last year for Ericson. Then PS bought the tooling for the 32, 34, and 38, and put them into production with slightly different size designations.
The MkIII-35 tooling went to a fellow over in the Tahoe area, but he has not re-surfaced to offer any boats. PS is not at present producing any Ericsons, but a hefty down payment might persuade them to put the molds to work.
:)
It is really hard to say if there was one "golden" era. In *very* general terms, many people like the hulls molded out (lots of different builders) before there were some reported changes in resin chemistry during the sail boat building boom in the mid 70's. Conventional wisdom holds that the older hulls have little or no blistering. OTOH the older the boat (again, from any builder), the more you are going to spend to update/replace systems, engines, rigging, etc, etc.

If you home in on any given model and then do a search on this site for information, you should find any areas to carefully survey before you purchase. You should search the archives over at sailnet.com, also.

From the size of your "crew" you might want to look at an E-34 or an Olson 34. This would give you the bunks you need and a modicum of privacy for the Captain and Admiral.

Fair winds and happy hunting,
Loren in Portland, OR
Olson 34 #8
:cool:

escapade

Inactive Member
Jim;
I'll try to give you my experience with Ericson Yachts. My first was a 1975 E27 that I bought in 1988. It needed a lot of TLC & a new bottom due to the gel-coat crazing (spiderweb like cracks). Ground off the old gel-coat and replaced it with West System Epoxy. Really enjoyed the boat for the 6 years we owned her. Then I purched a 1980 E30+. Wasn't even in the market for a boat, saw a flyer from a broker listing a Ericson 30, and went to look at it 'cause I didn't even know what it looked like. Ended up buying it and sailed her for 8 years. Had to repair some blisters (a couple dozen small ones). Repaired with West System to fill & fair, then applied 6 coats of VC Tar barrier coat. Boat sailed like a dream and had a ball with it. Presently own a 1988 E34 #265 that needs (guess what) a complete bottom repair. This time I'm going with West system to fill & fair and then Interprotect 2000E/1E as the barrier coat. In general, the fit & finish on all of the Ericson's has been excellent. The joinerwork is first rate and the materials used have always been first class. Obviously you can expect to have a certain amount of work to do when you buy a used boat. I've purchased boats that have needed work because of neglect by the P.O.'s. O.T.O.H. both boats that I've sold went to the first people who looked at them. The quality shows through as soon as you clean them up a bit. The later boats, as Loren said, have more modern systems as standard equipment. The Admiral will appreciate the little things like preasure hot & cold water, refrigeration, etc. If she's happy, everybody's happy!! You'll like the self tailing winches, travler systems, lines led aft.etc. Also, a wheel steered boat with the engine controls on the pedestal makes the docking manuver MUCH easier to handle. You now have more than enough information & opinions to be really confused!! Good luck & happy boat hunting! Bud

Last edited: