Ericson 32-200 Recommendations?

omgirl

Member II
Hello! My husband and I are looking to possibly purchase a 1990 Ericson 32-200. We have never owned a boat before but sailed all last summer through a club and have been out on Albin 28s, Solings, Pearson 31s, a J-33, and a Cal 33. We are looking for a well made, fun to sail, relatively fast, good room below (we are both over 6' tall)... of course, we are looking for the perfect boat!

Does anyone have any advice on general Ericson construction for this model? How about general performance? We are concerned about buying something we have never sailed before but this boat is in really good condition. Thanks!

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
omgirl said:
We are concerned about buying something we have never sailed before but this boat is in really good condition. Thanks!

Make your offer contingent on a Sea Trial, and of course a thorough professional survey. That way you'll be able to see how she sails and inform yourselves as much as possible before buying.

Sounds exciting though! First boat! :D

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I had four coastal trips last year, on as many different designs of boat. The best motion in a seaway was on a large Kelly-Petersen 44, and on an Ericson 32-3 (which is the same hull as the 32-200).
I am 6'2" and had about the same head-rubbing headroom as our Olson 34. i.e. it was fine. More might be better, but at some point it gets to be like wanting to be richer and thinner! :)

We were in seas of over 5 feet for several hours at the mouth of the Straits of Juan de Fuca and again entering the outer reaches of the Columbia Bar. Not bad weather, mind you, just the usual tide and wave pattern collisions at the last of an ebb. The Ericson 32 felt safe and did not pound; there was none of the creaking and structure movement and "floppiness" you find in the hulls of Cat____a's, by way of comparison.

The model you are considering is a proper little yacht, in the best sense of the word, IMHO.

Loren in PDX
:cool:

wurzner

Member III
Members of the Pacific North West owners list may remember a club member who passed away last year; Doug Will. Doug bought his 33 new in the late 80's and sailed it extensively. Every year, he took a 6~8 week trip that took him through all of the pacific northwest including the west side of Vancouver Island. I'm not sure where you live, but folks in our area deal with very unpredictable winds, very strong currents, and often very harrowing conditions. Doug loved his boat and was comfortable doing these trips year after year. His 32 was completely loaded with every imaginable item possible including radar and was great for 2 people. Also, he was a very tall and big man and was comfortable on his boat with his wife.

I have an older 32 that I'm selling since we just purchased a 38. As much as I love my 32, I know that the 32-200 is a better boat and as much as I love mine, I can only imagine what the never one is like.

Good luck, I'm sure you will love it.

Shaun

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Good First Boat...

Ericsons are very forgiving with new-owner stuff... they are pretty bullet proof. As mentioned before, a top notch survey is a must and a good sea trial with the surveyer aboard would be great. The $400-500 spent now will save you major headaches later.
We're almost 6 years into our first boat and are loving every minute of it. Make sure you read up about maintenance and safety...
Hope it works out!
Chris

escapade

Inactive Member
choice of boat

I have owned a Ericson 27, a Ericson 30+ and now own an Ericson 34. Do you see a recurring theme here? I have been throughly pleased with the sailing habbits of all these boats, the newer one progressively better than the previous ones. The late model 32's & late 34"s are very similar in basic design and the 34's sail very well. Have not sailed a 32 but based on the other posts & Geoff's comments I believe the two are quite similar. You can find faster boats and you can find more luxurious boats but you will be hard pressed to find a better combination, IMHO. Construction is strong although there are blistering problems on some of the mid 80's boats. A survey will reveal that info. Otherwise I believe it would be a grand first boat (most of us are jealous!!!) and remember blisters can be fixed and almost every brand of boat has them to some degree. Good luck in your hunting.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade":cheers:

Mindscape

Member III
E32

As a couple you should enjoy the 32. My wife and I spend most every weekend (during our season on Lake Michagan) on ours. It's fun to sail, handles rough conditions well and is great once we're just hanging out in our slip. I can't imagine that you will be disappointed with an E32.

Blue Chip

Member III
BLUE CHIP (#913) is a 1990 32-200 that has had only one owner...purchased at a boat show...rigged to single-hand...everything led back to the cockpit...97% jib (SF BAY Sailing) and sailed regularly by the 73 year old female owner/captain and her 69 year old boy friend. He started 5 years ago...she started sailing at 16. The "newby" guy says it is a great boat to learn sailing on, the old-timer says...it is reliable and contains quality parts. We both love it. Want Pics?? Ask me at mmwxguy@netzero.com. Will oblige. (Can't for the life of me figure out how to send them along with this message)
Hey, I found out the name of those "sticks" that help us take the main down. They (it) is called <AINTAMER. She found them in an ad on page 243 of the October 1991 CRUISING WORLD magazine. They cost $150 a pair and $10 o ship. They came out of Flushing NY, but I doubt they are still in business. In the boats papers, she STILL has the ad! Whoever buys this boat someday gets it all!!!

Mark May
by the Bay

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Hard to go wrong with Ericsons...

Generally on Ericsons:

Well designed, well built and tend to hold more of their value than other boats in the same class. For a first boat - or any boat (all things being equal) - you won't be sorry.

I came to Ericsons after considering Cape Dory cutters - and found that I was looking for something that was faster and more generous - but still well built and carried a pedigree.

I loved my 35-3 dearly - and when I sold her - I had three offers in two days.

Like any boat, you'll have a few headaches - this is not an inexpensive lifestyle. But again, all things being equal, Ericsons are head and shoulders above the rest - go forward with your eyes open - but with confidence.

//sse

Attachments

• ob_fall_2002.jpg
    ob_fall_2002.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 952

omgirl

Member II
Thank you all for your information and advice.

I am pleased and proud to say that we now have a contract on an E32-200! My fingers are crossed as we move into the survey process. If we can get through that... then we will be happy Ericson owners. Thanks again!

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
omgirl said:
Thank you all for your information and advice.

I am pleased and proud to say that we now have a contract on an E32-200! My fingers are crossed as we move into the survey process. If we can get through that... then we will be happy Ericson owners. Thanks again!

Excellent! Take lots of pictures, and let us know how it goes...

//sse

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Update, please....

So what happened on this 32-200? Did you buy her?

omgirl

Member II
We bought her... we bought her!

Yes! We bought her! She is being moved in 2 weeks and put in the H20. We are so excited. We will be sailing out of Newburyport, NH. Thanks for all of the insight and encouragement.
:egrin:

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
1990 32-200

Have the bottom carefully checked for blisters as many 1989 and 1990 Ericson hulls were made in Mexico and have had severe blister issues.....believe me as I have one! I have had the bottom done twice using the Interlux system and the last time I think they got it right and it seems to be holding very well. I am in fresh water which seems to add to the problem. Outside of the bottom issues I love the boat and it sails great. Have had no other problems. Good luck and I am just trying to help. Dan Callen Ericson 32-3 Andiamo #753

omgirl

Member II
Blistering...

Thanks Dan. She is a 1990 as well. The last owner had the bottom completely re-done and it looks great. We had her surveyed as well so we feel pretty good about everything. There is a little bit of work that has to be done to the rudder but other than that... our fingers are crossed. Any other good things to know about her? We are so anxious to get sailing that I know we are going to be nervous wrecks the first time.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Congratulations! Is she being moved by truck to Newburyport? Which company did you use for transport? (and by the way, you'll probably have more luck going to Newburyport, MA - i don't know of a Newburyport in NH ;))

omgirl

Member II
Nate,
She is being moved by truck... next Wed. A company named Joslin that is out of Newburyport, MA and supposedly specializes in moving boats. The place we are going to moor her recommended them and they were extremely competitive on their rate as well. We will of course be there for the move but do you have any recommendations on things to watch out for?