Ericson 33 mast

Dick F

I'm interested in purchasing an E33 RH but I have a question about the mast.It has a joint just below the lower spreaders and I was wondering if it was a repair or original as it is a very tall mast?

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Splice I think

I think that partuclar boat had some rigs that came from the extruder in 2 pieces which had to be welded together prior to painting and fitting harware.

IIRC ( but may not be 100% on this), some sections came in one piece-either way, this is not cause for alarm unless you see evidence of a poor weld..

The location of the joint is a very good plac to do it, so some planning ent into it.

The 33's "swung both ways", I think, and both masts are very stout.

If Martin or any other e-luker's out there remember different, plear try to chime in.

Enjoy!!
S

JMS

Member II
Sailed on a E33RH back in the day and, if IIRC, it’s mast was spliced. If done properly a splice is not anything to lose sleep over. The only downside being a very small weight penalty—a few pounds—for the internal sleeve and the fasteners. On whippy rigs a splice can, potentially, alter the bending characteristics slightly -> not really a concern on the type of rigs used on Ericsons.

The need to splice masts, obviously, is a function of the length of tubes the sparmaker can purchase from their extruder(s). Depending on the X-Y crossection, some common tube lengths were (when I was in the mast biz) 40/44/48 feet. The main reason extruders were reluctant to push longer lengths had to do with QC issues -> primarily controlling twist. Twist in a rain gutter is no big deal; more than, say, 3° degrees of twist in a mast tube and it was a candidate for a red tag.

P Abele

Member II
We own an '82 E33 (Ron Holland design) and our mast appears to be one solid piece with no splices. The cross sectional shape of this keel stepped mast is consistant all the way to the point where the forestay and runners meet, and then there is a slight taper above that.
Out of curiosity, ar you looking at the in in TX or NJ?
This is a racer-cruiser which you will love if she surveys out okay. Good Luck!!