• Untitled Document

Join us on September 27th, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the people you've met online!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

September Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson Windlass Installation [Master Thread]

jtsai

Member III
The wash down on my boat was installed by one of its previous owners of which I think were two. It gets its water from the same through hull that the head uses by way of a “T” fitting off the seacock. The 12 volt pump is also located in the head under the sink with the switch located at the Nav station. So weighing anchor require activating the pump and opening seacock before any wash down can begin.
Bob, since you and I sail over the similar bottom mud conditions, do you recall the anchor wash down pump's GPM rating and if it is adequate to rid of the sticky river mud? Thanks.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Bob, since you and I sail over the similar bottom mud conditions, do you recall the anchor wash down pump's GPM rating and if it is adequate to rid of the sticky river mud? Thanks.
Well, I don’t recall the GPM rating but I can look at it when I get to the boat next week. It does do an adequate job of washing down the chain and anchor although repeated washing over the same areas are sometimes needed.

You can take a look at my YouTube video where I do a wash-down on Fairlee Creek although for some reason the spot we were anchored in had very little mud. If you don’t want to watch the entire vid forward to about 10 minutes in to see me weighing anchor. You’ll see in the vid that a previous owner installed one of those “spirally“ hoses which was a good idea IMO. Something to consider if you intend to install a wash down. Here’s the link to the video:

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
I had a 3.5 GPM wash down pump and considered it inadequate for pressure. So I installed a 5.0 GPM pump. Moderate increase in pressure. I am thinking something else is restricting it. Possibly the strainer in the system or some bend in the line. All 1/2 " tubing. FWIW.

jtsai

Member III
I had a 3.5 GPM wash down pump and considered it inadequate for pressure. So I installed a 5.0 GPM pump. Moderate increase in pressure. I am thinking something else is restricting it. Possibly the strainer in the system or some bend in the line. All 1/2 " tubing. FWIW.
Thanks, Ray. A lot more GPM than I thought, but it makes sense, more water is needed for sticky mud. I had hoped to use Ryobi 40V cordless power washer that draws water from over the deck siphon hose, but it is only rated at 0.75 GPM. :rolleyes:

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Thanks, Ray. A lot more GPM than I thought, but it makes sense, more water is needed for sticky mud. I had hoped to use Ryobi 40V cordless power washer that draws water from over the deck siphon hose, but it is only rated at 0.75 GPM. :rolleyes:
GPM might be only part of the equation. An industrial water jet cutter might not use much water/minute, but extreme pressure through a small orifice will cut steel. If you already have it, I'd say it's worth trying. You'd need very good filtration though. It won't take much to plug those tiny holes.