• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson's ventilation systems

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Lot of air comes through those front dorade cowls
No such luck on my little 30+, there are no forward cowl vents. Just the two on the taffrail, one of which is connected to the blower to ventilate the engine compartment. I guess bigger is better for getting cool air into the engine but I wonder where the limiting factor would be- the cowl vent or the blower. I don’t think the taffrail vents do much to cool the boat but may get some circulation going in the engine room. They certainly circulate water in the rainy months.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Ref the 32-3 model boat: I was in the boat today with winds 12-15K and I could feel fairly strong rushes rushes of air through the interior air vents that come from the dorade. There is one vent in the saloon, and one in the head. I could feel the air against my face and head when I walked under the vents, without even "looking" for it. If you're not getting much air through these vents, it might be worth removing the teak trim ring and cleaning the screen that's stapled to the top side of it.

Here's what the vents from the dorade look like with the trim ring/screen removed. It's about a 2.5" hole, and it should let quite a bit of air into the cabin and head. My boat is on a bouy, so it's always facing predominantly into the wind. Maybe that helps with the air intake.
20221106_181855.jpg

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
If you're not getting much air through these vents, it might be worth removing the teak trim ring and cleaning the screen that's stapled to the top side of it.

Here's what the vents from the dorade look like with the trim ring/screen removed. It's about a 2.5" hole, and it should let quite a bit of air into the cabin and head. My boat is on a bouy, so it's always facing predominantly into the wind. Maybe that helps with the air intake.
I "cleaned" the screens of all my dorade vents with a toothpick and hand vac. The crud buildup from 30-something years was significant - as was the influx of airflow once they were cleaned.