Ex-factory guy wants to help you

rd_cochran

E31 Info

Seth - do you have any original price list data for the E31? I am interested in you comments on this boat as a small Blue Water cruiser...

Thanks,

Rick

Seth

Sustaining Partner
See Martin!

If you can't reach Martin I bet several of the I/31 denizens here will be able to give some guidance..I'm not sure what good original pricing info will do for you-they are worth what the market brings these days.

As to the boat itself, my feeling is that it is a bit small, but with the same types of mods for hatches, rigging, sails and cockpit drainage, it should be a capable boat for ocean crossings..

The very best person to ask is Martin King-he is a very knowledgeable sailor and either has or had a special I-31. Shoot him an email or PM. For myself, I would defer to anything he has to say on the subject..
Cheers,
S

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Last edited:

Robert Stuart

lowering the mast

I bought a e-27 (1977 ) last year it has the hinged mast plate .I would like to lower it to work on several things. but I can not find the instructions for properly doing this
any good ideas ?

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Seth,

I would like to install an ESPAR heater in my 1988 Ericson 38-200. I would prefer, but I'm open to other ideas, to install the heater in the starboard cockpit locker or in the aft locker.
I was planning to run the exhaust out the stern, or possibly near the engine exhaust.
I would prefer to install forced air heat, but I'm open to water as well.
Do you have any thoughts on how I can run the ducts or the water tubing forward from one of the aft lockers?

Thanks,
Bob

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Wish I had more to offer

Hi Bob,

During my time at Ericson we did so few heater installs on the 38's I can barely recall how we did them, and most were installed after-market.

My strengths (such as they are, that may be stretch-;) ), are with sails and rigging, deck layout, navigation and techniques. Electical, heating, and this type of thing is best left to others who lurk here.

Guy Stevens has a huge amount of knowledge, as does Martin King. There are a lot of 38 owners here, and I bet a number of them have been through this..

Do a post in the Maintenance and Mechanical forum. Be sure and drop Guy and Martin's names. Someone will help you!

Cheers

Last edited:

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Seth,
No problem.

Thanks for the guidance, I will post my question to the Maintenance and Mechanical forum.

Thanks again,
Bob