• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Extending exhaust to reduce diesel soot ?

Sven

Seglare
We just had our E39-B polished and waxed ... very nice :)

Of course, as soon as we started up the diesel after the "service" we got a black streak running down the hull at the stern. My gut reaction is to try to attach a 1" (or so) extension to the exhaust to keep the sooty drip from running down the hull. It won't prevent the splattered soot from accumulating over time but it might prevent the major streak ?

Would it work or is there a reason why it isn't a standard modification on all white-hulled boats ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Several sailboats around our YC moorage have done this. Same reason as you state.
I see no harm. If you are working the diesel hard enough to produce soot, you will still get some on the transom from the following wave, it seems like.
Just less of it...

Loren

wheelerwbrian

Member III
That's been one of my nagging gripes as well, and with the boat out of the water right now, the time might be ripe to do something about it. I've seen a stainless extension on other boats, although I'm a bit concerned that with the exhaust so close to the waterline, an extension might drag in the water when the boat squats.

Let us know what you find please.

u079721

Contributing Partner
This is a fairly common aftermarket modification at my club, and I've seen it done with rubber hose and even PVC pipe. Not sure why it isn't standard, as it really does seem to keep the soot from coating the transom as much.

I wanted to do it for years too, but on our E38-200 the exhaust was under the transom, and not on the flat aft surface. Any type of pipe I added would have been dragging though the water sideways whenever the boat reached hull speed or was on port tack, so I gave up on the idea. I did almost consider relocating the exhaust through-hull to the aft surface, but didn't want to drill any new holes. Go for it!