• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Facet Fuel Pump Replacement

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I'm putting in a new Facet Gold cylindrical fuel pump. The old pump used these brass compression fittings to mate with the installed copper fuel lines.

20200229_183908.jpg

Do I need to buy new compression fittings (they will be mating with the same, original tubing I removed them from) or can I reuse these?

Also, do I install the fittings "dry," or use Permatex #3 sealant (or, other preferred sealant)?

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Don't recall the product # offhand, but for all of our threaded fuel fittings I used a sealant specifically rated for diesel fuel.
(All of the factory 1988 fittings showed a little squeezed-out brown color stuff - sort of like a hardened waxy material, sort of - and zero leaks from any of those joints over the decades.)
Lucky for us that these sealants are used throughout industries far n wide, and should be well formulated, and readily available.

Added: just checked my Amazon order record and it was :
Loctite 483631 592 Thread Sealant

Added: link to pix of our present and original electric lift pump.

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I'm putting in a new Facet Gold cylindrical fuel pump. The old pump used these brass compression fittings to mate with the installed copper fuel lines.

View attachment 32631

Do I need to buy new compression fittings (they will be mating with the same, original tubing I removed them from) or can I reuse these?

Also, do I install the fittings "dry," or use Permatex #3 sealant (or, other preferred sealant)?
Use Permatex #2.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author

View attachment 32631

Ken,
Do you have a picture and/or part number for the pump you chose? I've been thinking about a new electric pump but haven't pulled the trigger. I haven't gotten too excited about the real cheap pumps. But even with a Facet (or one with a similar price), I will have to do quite a bit of re-work to install one. They just don't make them like they used to. The fuel pump is the bottom unit, gold-ish colored.

Thanks,
Craig

20160912_181926-small.jpg

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Avoid the really cheap plastic cube pumps from auto supply stores, but I've had good success with a solid metal fuel pump that was ordered for a chevy pick up truck but never picked up. It has the correct pumping pressure, simple mechanism and designed for a truck, so was solid and was less expensive than marine. Has worked great for six years and going strong.
Frank

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Craig,

I don't have my notes with me, but here is a previous post about fuel pump options:

I think the Facet 476459E is the one I bought.

From the look of your existing pump, the Facet "cube" pumps might be an easier fit, and I believe they were highly recommended by MaineSail.

I haven't done fuel line work before, but most of my searches on thread sealants strongly recommend against using Teflon tape in diesel fuel lines (as is shown in your existing installation). Once you disassemble, shards/strings of that tape will be left inside the female threaded fittings and could present a clogging problem down the road--something to consider or seek further opinions on.

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks Frank and Ken. I'll look that pump up and see what I can find on non-marine pumps for diesel per Frank's recommendation.

I am planning to re-work my fuel feed system this spring, so that Teflon tape will go away. It is so tight in there that I am going to have to be patient once I decide what pump and filter to install.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
The Facet cylindrical pumps have a filter on the bottom that needs to be changed periodically. You need to able to get a large wrench on the bottom to change it. Might be a no-go in a tight location.

debonAir

Member III
+1 on NO teflon pipe-tape. I spent a bunch of hours last Summer chasing down an rough-at-high-throttle issue on a 60HP outboard. Finally traced it down to teflon tape on the fuel filter inlet folding over and choking flow.