Fairlead swivel block for wire halyard

Denise McDonald

Member II
Greetings, we need to replace the fairlead block that attaches to our mast, which the wire portion of the main halyard runs through. We have found a couple that might work, but they all seem to have plastic sheaves. The former one appears to have a metal sheave and we think that the wire portion of the halyard would rip right through the plastic ones after just a few runs. Does anyone have any suggestions where we might find something like this? I have a feeling this was original to the boat which is a 1975 E 27. We looked at West Marine and I’ve looked online so maybe I’m Searching for the wrong part? I have attached pictures so any help would be greatly appreciated.19BBC478-1DBF-4137-9103-C8ED76BC8B24.jpeg

Attachments

• 5EFE93CF-FD03-46AC-90B3-BA4ACB7CC2D6.jpeg
    5EFE93CF-FD03-46AC-90B3-BA4ACB7CC2D6.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 3
  • F7EE3A45-5F3B-44B2-BE9D-7FB1B81B1B90.jpeg
    F7EE3A45-5F3B-44B2-BE9D-7FB1B81B1B90.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 3

Denise McDonald

Member II
Lol yes that was a thought... the halyard is just in really good shape so we were trying to get more use out of it. But thank you, that’s probably what we’ll end up doing

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Lol yes that was a thought... the halyard is just in really good shape so we were trying to get more use out of it. But thank you, that’s probably what we’ll end up doing
I really liked this one from defender, has a low stretch spectra core and a polyester cover for durability and economy. comes looped in the end so you can thread it through:

I don’t think it was any lighter than the wire rope it replaced though

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
About 18 years ago, last time our mast was down for a re-rig, I had the factory aluminum sheaves at the top all removed and trued up on a lathe. This was to change over to all-rope halyards, and provided a smooth surface for them. Those OEM alum. sheaves were scratched up like the one in the picture that starts this thread.
I wonder if you can find a friend with a lathe to do this - you'd have remove each sheave and then put it back.