Fenders

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Big... Bigger...

Bare Minimum would be, IMHO, the 26" or 28" tubular, or the 15" dia. round ones. Larger is better - much better.
The round ones are expecially nice for rafting up with friends' boats.
Braid some eyes into some 3/8" three strand nylon line, about 6 or 7' long, and use 'em for fender whips.
While boating newbies may roll their eyes as you extract large fenders from the lazarette... they will change their opinion the first time they tie up to a dock or other boat, on a bouncy day... :rolleyes:

Speaking of tying up those protective sausages, do not tie them to lifelines except on a quiet days as a last resort. You probably know this, but they need to go to the toe rail, genny car slider, stanchion base, shroud... i.e. something that can take a *lot* of tension when the hull pulls hard on the fender and tries to rock back'n'forth. You will have around 10K# of determined Ericson leaning on those "gel coat savers!"
:)

Loren

Last edited:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Brian- I would have at least 10" X 26" Big "B" Fenders or what Loren stated 15" Tuff End Fenders. Bigger is better, if you go to small there is a chance they can blow out from the weight of the vessels. Rob Hessenius

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Has anyone tried using inflatable fenders? I have seen them advertised, and if they work without bursting they would be a great space saver.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
BTW, Brian, my boat is in Brewerton. If you like, I will let you know when I will next be there (she needs major repairs), and we could talk boats some time.

Gareth