Fibreglass resin

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Having read Don Casey and a couple of others, this seems the general rule of using resin:

Polyester - cheap, good UV resistance, bad water resistance.

Vinyl Ester - not cheap, good UV resistance, good water resistance. Good material for a deck, and glassing in the region of the deck.

Epoxy - not cheap, bad UV resistance, the best water resistance. Good for below the water line.

I am completely rebuilding my deck, and much of the boat's interior, plus repairing some hull damage.

If anyone knows more/better than what I have written, could you pass me your thoughts before I start buying resin by the gallon?

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
a vote for epoxy

Another difference is the adhesion of new resin to an old/cured surface. Epoxy is rated far higher for this than poly resin. That's a major reason I use epoxy for all repairs and projecs. The only poly resin I ever buy is gel coat for deck and hull owies and I also used a bunch of it to finish out the bilge several years ago in white. (Much easier to keep it clean, now)
:)
Note that if you contact industrial resin suppliers you can get a good price on epoxy. I have a friend building a 55' boat who gets it *really* cheap... in 55 gallon drums! :eek:

Best,
Loren