• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Flogging itself to death

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I've been checking out the Avalon web cam to see what conditions look like in the harbor and noticed that there is a sailboat on one of the moorings whose roller furling jib unfurled and is flogging itself to death. It's been like that for at least the last few hours. I'm surprised no one from the harbor patrol has done anything about it. But there you are.

At 10:30am PST it's still flogging away. It will be interesting to see how long this continues before it is shredded to doll rags.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Live stream, yes. Whole jib flapping and not furled.
That would be the one! I thought maybe you weren't sure, based on your question mark. But no matter.

My assumption is that it must have been furled initially, but that the wind caught it and unfurled it. Can't think of any other reason for it to be in this state.

(11:22am--Still flogging away....)

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
12:30 pm--Still flogging....

(I emailed my harbor patrol friend to ask him what's up with this. If that jib sheet gets caught and there is a wind shift, the boat could take the mooring for a ride, especially if the forecast 45 kt. gusts materialize late this evening.)

Avalon forecast.jpg

Gaviate

Member III
This happened to my headsail in first year of ownership! I was 15 hours away on a scuba dive trip along the North Shore of Lake Superior at the time. Phone message from Harbor Master in Fish Creek alerting me to the problem. He would not (could not) board my vessel to douse the sail and urged me to get to it asap. Long sad story shortened to; my arriving on morning of 3rd day to find that some neighbor in the mooring field had boarded and brought down the tattered sail and lashed it to the deck.
In retrospect, there were at least 2 conditions existing that made the tattering tale a foregone conclusion. 1st, me, an absolute newbie with no conceivable notion that such a thing was even possible. 2nd, a damaged furler connecting rod which should have been identified by me when I had to manually roll the sail the previous weekend, when the furling line did not.
The Unfurling happened in a squall where I expect the wind just peeled her open, as the damaged furler would have offered no resistance at all.

"Its a small world". When I called the sail loft in Sturgeon Bay to ask about repairing the sail...he asked what happened..I told a short version of where and what, he said...oh you're the guy from Fish Creek, no I can't repair that sail...its to far gone...I said..but you haven't seen it yet...he said... I've heard about it tho and consider it a loss. Turns out his son also has a mooring there and he was a witness to the flogging!!

"Things happen for a reason" This educational experience prompted me to replace all rigging, both standing and running, which was on the list and long overdue at the time I purchased the boat. I also ditched the furler and converted to hank on sails. The tattered sail has been repurposed as 2 sail bags and Sis (who sews) is holding onto remainder in case I think of something else useful:)

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I also ditched the furler and converted to hank on sails.
I hope you didn't do that simply because it became unfurled once in a high wind. It's very easy to prevent this from happening, simply by: (1) putting a sail tie around the furled sail; and (2) cleating off the furling line and tensioning the jib sheet against it.

I sailed with hank-on for decades, well before furling was a thing. My Harken furler is one of the best pieces of hardware on my boat, and I'd really miss having it--especially as a single hander.

Gaviate

Member III
I hope you didn't do that simply because it became unfurled once
NO, actually the rigger who sold me the new rigging advised me to replace the furler, it was hardly worth repairing and as old as the boat with corrosion and such. At that point it became an economic question, and so, I developed a hankerin' for some hanks!
Its working for me so far, forces the consideration of which sail to hank on because changing sail while underway singlehanding can be somewhat of a challenge in a stiff breeze! I also acquired a 135 genoa with reef points, which makes things manageable....and...not everybody has one!!

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
NO, actually the rigger who sold me the new rigging advised me to replace the furler, it was hardly worth repairing and as old as the boat with corrosion and such. At that point it became an economic question, and so, I developed a hankerin' for some hanks!
Its working for me so far, forces the consideration of which sail to hank on because changing sail while underway singlehanding can be somewhat of a challenge in a stiff breeze! I also acquired a 135 genoa with reef points, which makes things manageable....and...not everybody has one!!
Makes sense.

One thing I found very helpful for singlehanding with a hank-on jib is a downhaul. Run a small diameter line tied to the second hank from the top, route it through a block at the bow, and then run the line aft to the cockpit.

To douse the sail, bring the boat head to wind, cut the halyard, and let the sail drop as far as it will. Then use the downhaul to pull it down the rest of the way. Cleating off the downhaul will help hold down part of the sail on the deck while you work forward to tie it off more securely.

(Note: Tying it to the second to the top hank rather than higher helps the line pull the luff straight down vs. accidentally cocking the head of the sail off to one side.)

Gaviate

Member III
One thing I found very helpful for singlehanding with a hank-on jib is a downhaul.
Thanks! Glad to have 1st hand confirmation of this and the helpful tip of not lashing to the head of the sail! I have experimented with this idea this past season tho somewhat haphazardly with a line routed around stanchions to get a fair run to the cabin top. Plans for a properly installed line with fairleads and blocks during this upcoming spring work list. I'm also considering a downhaul for the main tho I will attend to the mast top sheaves 1st and do the downhaul as plan C, Main tends to want to stay up and installing a sail track not practical.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I got in the habit of securing my furled head sail jibsheets on two hooks located at the base of my headstay fitting. I originally did this to stop birds from perching on the slack jib sheets and pooping on the foredeck (a common problem on the delta). When I was getting measured for a new headsail, the sail maker commented "what a great way to keep your head sail from unfurling!". While not the original intention, I politely agreed. This picture shows the starboard sheet still on the hook. Just one more task when setting up and putting away the boat but I sleep better in a blow when I am not there. It also keeps them out of full sun tucked in close to the jib.

bow-fitting.jpg

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I know this is getting ridiculous and I am probably close to getting banned from this site for pointing it out yet again, BUT.....

If tomorrow's weather materializes as forecast, perhaps it will finally put this poor thing out of its misery.

forecast.jpg

Anzac

Member II
I saw it yesterday for the first time. Why hasn't someone secured that for them?? The noise would be annoying.

peaman

Sustaining Member
"what a great way to keep your head sail from unfurling!"
When I worked on a bigger boat, when we didn't plan to sail for a few days, I would furl the sail and keep going another three to six turns (it was a big boat) and then I would coil the sheets and use the tail of the sheets to hang the coils from the lower turns of the sheets around the sail. I thought it was a good look, and it kept the decks clear. Only now I realize that it also would prevent the sail from unfurling, as long as the coiled sheets were secure.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
What's needed beyond the few extra wraps of the sheet around the furled sail is whatever absolutely keeps the drum from rotating. Anything that does that is a good solution. So what I do is cleat off the furling line and then put tension on the jib sheet, cleating that down as well. Assuming the furling line doesn't break for some odd reason, the furling drum simply cannot rotate in this configuration since the forces are opposing one another. I also add a gasket around the furled sail, but that's probably redundant.