• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Foiling keel SF Bay 8.27

frosero7744

Member II
Man. Came out of Alameda late morning into 20something plus south of the bay bridge heading to TI. In the slot was getting 32-34 sustained for long periods. We went past the tip of TI a ways and came about to head back on a beam reach so hard and fast i thought we were foiling at one point hahaha!! No not that bad, but holy water batman whata sleigh ride home.

Anyone else out Saturday experience similar? Finding this is more the case this year than the exception in the slot. This pic was almost back to the estuary back with a gentle 10-15 hiding behind YBI. Knuckles getting color back.
sleighride.jpg

rssailor

Yes, i'm sure it's windy. This is why I'm going to have a very small blade jib built for my Ericson 25+. Ryan

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One possible option to consider for a new jib (if it will be a furling sail) might be full hoist 97% like ours. With the three vertical battens it seems to have the useful leach drive of about a 110, up high. Our boat points well, with or without a reef in the main.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Man. Came out of Alameda late morning into 20something plus south of the bay bridge heading to TI. In the slot was getting 32-34 sustained for long periods. We went past the tip of TI a ways and came about to head back on a beam reach so hard and fast i thought we were foiling at one point hahaha!! No not that bad, but holy water batman whata sleigh ride home.

Anyone else out Saturday experience similar? Finding this is more the case this year than the exception in the slot. This pic was almost back to the estuary back with a gentle 10-15 hiding behind YBI. Knuckles getting color back.
I just installed 2nd reef line in Jazzbeau. I’m kind of looking forward to more moderate winds out of Sausalito. My wife is not too happy standing on the sidewall of the cockpit :).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I just installed 2nd reef line in Jazzbeau. I’m kind of looking forward to more moderate winds out of Sausalito. My wife is not too happy standing on the sidewall of the cockpit :).
With the SA-to-displacement of the E-33RH, and it's reputation as a light air boat I can well imagine reefing down for sailing in SF. It would also be great in the light air in the east bay, IMHO.
I have some driving time in that model and really enjoy the way it sails.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
With the SA-to-displacement of the E-33RH, and it's reputation as a light air boat I can well imagine reefing down for sailing in SF. It would also be great in the light air in the east bay, IMHO.
I have some driving time in that model and really enjoy the way it sails.
Next time you are in the Bay Area we can go out.