Folding prop worthy?

unidiver

Member I
Recently purchased '86 35 MkIII with M25 and am considering replacing 3 blade fixed with 2 blade folding prop. Want to improve sailing speed and willing to accept motoring/maneuvering loss. Have heard stories of 0.5 to 1.0 knot improvement. That real? Have been sailing with tranny in reverse but since Hurth manual says it's okay am gonna try neutral. Make enough improvement? Or, still gonna need prop change?
Martec recommends 15/12 non-geared folder.
Appreciate feedback before pulling trigger.
Thanks!

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We have a two blade geared Varifold folding propeller on our E30+. I really like it, and am sure that it adds about .5 to 1 knot sailing speed. It does need regular cleaning in saltwater environment, as the barnacles can get into the folding area and impede it's opening/folding, but that hasn't been a problem for me. My diver cleans it in the winter and I do it in spring, summer and fall--easy to do with a brush.
I think there is some loss of motoring speed and maneuverability, but I still think it's worth while.
I would suggest the geared one, as it ensures that both sides open simultaneously--the earlier ones sometimes had one blade open and the other not, which would not be good.
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In my experience going from a feathering two blade to a three blade fixed did indeed cost me at least 3/4 of a knot and more. True both in light air and heavy air.
A folder has slightly less drag than a featherer, but not too much.
If you do site searches on props and/or propellers, there are some good threads here.
Try by key words to winnow down the search - Martec, Maxprop, feathering, and similar words....

Loren

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Flexofold for me

I installed a Flexofold 2 blade folding prop on my E29 (not their small racing prop, little gain in speed and loss of drive with the racing prop plus more cost) and gained speed under motor and reverse is better than with the fixed 2 blade standard prop and less prop walk. The geared prop deploys as soon as you engage gear on the A4 with the 1:1 ratio. Non geared prop will leave the lower blade hanging at low speeds unless the shaft is turned to have the blades at 3 and 9 o’clock position, geared doesn’t care they just fold.

The boat moves with a puff on light air days where it would just lean and ease forward with the fixed prop. Speed gain under sail and motor, better rudder response due to less turbulence over the rudder.

Definitely geared and my opinion Flexofold . Best dollar for dollar speed I have bought for the boat. Round numbers $1000. This prop is a work of art and just the feel and sound as you open and close it by hand after you install it. The gears are double gears on each blade with the teeth offset to always have a tooth deep in the groove on the other blade, no slop and when you manually open the prop if almost feels spring loaded.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Folding Prop

Somewhere here I have gone over this before, but being lazy, and I think it will take me more time to find it...here goes

I have had Martec Folding Props on all of my boats going back 40 years......

Never had a problem....have always had excellent performance.....

After about 4 years I always sent the prop back for refurbishing......in the process became quite friendly with Walt Beck the owner of Martec, and when I
acquired my1987 E35 MKIII I called to ask his suggestion for a prop for my new boat.....I found that Walt had passed on, but his son Gary was as good as his father, and his recommendation was the same as recommended to you.

I had told him that at the time the boat was in a high growth area of Florida and maybe I was better off with the geared prop......his feeling was that there was more chance of the growth jamming the gears......

The prop has been on the boat since 07, and I am very happy with same.....the trick to opening the blades is to engage enough throttle to compensate for forward motion.......starting from dead still is not a problem...

My experience and I hope it is of some help to you....

Good Luck

Bob Brigham

Member II
My folding prop is a nightmare in reverse...especially in strong current. It is so bad that I cannot even think about using reverse for picking up the mooring. Part of the problem, of course, is that the E 28 is way underpowered with the 10 horsepower Universal...maybe with the right power you can muscle reverse...

jimk

Member II

i have a Max-prop 3 blade feathering on our E38-200. i unfortunately cannot compare its performance to a fixed blade since this is the only prop I’ve have had on this boat. What I can say is it motors well in all conditions 7.25+ knots through the water; i have excellent control in reverse and can only assume less sailing drag then a fixed prop. It is a 12 year old prop that PYI completely rebuilt last spring for 1k “ouch” however I’m hoping to get another 12+ years out of it.<O:p></O:p>

Jim<O:p></O:p>

johnwmcc

Just replaced a 20 year old Martec two blade folder on my 1987 E 35 MKIII with a new edition of the same model [15/12]. The old prop had never been off the boat and had a crack in the hub so I decided to send it to a deserved retirement. I had no complaints with the old prop was lucky that it didn't come apart before I replaced it. Gary recommended the same prop and I saw no reason to change. New prop is smooth as silk, popped open quickly, 7+knots at 1800 rpm, and decent in reverse. Same walk to port in reverse but very manageable.
Couldn't stand the thought of putting the old fixed two blade on a fast boat with new bottom paint. She feels fast just sitting at the dock. Wish that I was as fast as the boat is.

John

Maine Sail

Member III
This spirng I installed a Flex-O-Fold two blade on our boat. We used it a month, hated it, and pulled the boat which cost $$$$ and replaced it with the Campbell Sailor we had on it before. The vibrations were enough to drive both me and my wife bat $hit crazy.

Feel free to read more about it here...

Folding Prop Report

[URL="http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=925684&highlight=FOF"][URL="http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=141820&#post925684"]Folding Prop Is Gone[/URL][/URL]http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=925684&highlight=FOF

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
You asked about folding props, don't have one but I have yet to be on a boat with one that didn't vibrate a bit and most people complain about reverse. I went from a fixed two blade to a feathering three blade Variprofile. The difference is nothing short of fantastic, better sailing, better motoring and tons of thrust in reverse. The downside is price. If you can swing it go for a feathering prop. RT