• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

"Free" E30+ ??

swampyankee

Member I
If economics factor into the calculus of your decision, this boat will be anything but economical, at least when figured in terms of overall cost of ownership.
Economics in a strict sense don't factor into the calculus of a decision to own any boat. LOL As described previously, my motivation is to renovate a boat as a project, not necessarily to save money.

I seem to have heard all the useful information I will get from this thread. It is quickly getting to the point where the comments are more nay-saying than constructive.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I'm really struggling to find anything worth saving in those pics. If you're looking for good bones, you have to consider the bulkheads, core, and keel and they don't look like their in good condition. Everything can be fixed. This one just looks too far gone without having any good thing to build around. I'm not sure you would be able to find something on there that's worth salvaging after the hull is cut up, maybe the spar or the lead in the keel? There's plenty of other boats out there, even free ones.

On the other hand....if you're skilled and/or crazy enough to take this on, it would be a great thread to follow.

swampyankee

Member I
So as not to abandon this thread and leave folks hanging, my wife and I have decided to pass on this project. Although we both felt it was doable, and something we would like to take on, our schedule of events as well as current pending projects will keep us from putting the time into this, and we once we start something we like to see it through in a timely manner.

So thank you for all the support and information.

swampyankee

Member I
As a bit more of a follow-up and for value comparison, I see an E30+ not far from us in Marblehead, MA for sale for $15k or so. Looks to be in perfectly good, sail-away condition (in Spring of course). Although we were up for the challenge of the Free boat, $15k seems to make the free boat a tossup between the two. It's either time. labor, and an uncertain dollar investment, vs a fixed investment on the "good" boat. Looks like I've definitely talked myself out of it, eh...

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
As a bit more of a follow-up and for value comparison, I see an E30+ not far from us in Marblehead, MA for sale for $15k or so. Looks to be in perfectly good, sail-away condition (in Spring of course). Although we were up for the challenge of the Free boat, $15k seems to make the free boat a tossup between the two. It's either time. labor, and an uncertain dollar investment, vs a fixed investment on the "good" boat. Looks like I've definitely talked myself out of it, eh...
And don't worry, there will still be plenty of things to renovate!
Are you aware of IYRS, the International Yacht Restoration School? Cool place, if you have a couple years to set aside.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
My Opinion Only - That compression post is an add on.

The E-30 mounts the mast on the cabin top. A known result is a sagging cabin top. Symptom - Look for sagging structures directly below mast, (near head entry door).

My thoughts from my own experience.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
And don't worry, there will still be plenty of things to renovate!
Are you aware of IYRS, the International Yacht Restoration School? Cool place, if you have a couple years to set aside.
Ah come on Jeff! It only took us from 1994 to 2021 to "finish" our renovation! (Except that no boat is ever really finished)
And only the last 10 months was 100% devoted to working on it full time, on the hard.
This has kept us out of bars and totally off of golf courses, too!
:D

Last edited:

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Ah come on Jeff! It only took us from 1994 to 2021 to "finish" our renovation!
And only the last 10 months was 100% devoted to working on it full time, on the hard.
This has kept us out of bars and totally off of golf courses, too!
:D
I am not worthy, Loren!! You are one of my beacons of hope.
-
Actually, I was thinking that IYRS's Boat Restoration Program is two years long.

swampyankee

Member I
A few comments have been posted since I left this thread. I love IYRS, although I haven't visited in a few years. I used to like visiting their own "free boat" project - the Coronet - and seeing the progress. I have a signed print of the Coronet on my office wall.

Loren - I'd be interested to know about your 17 year restoration project. I occasionally follow a Youtuber that is on about hi 14th year restoring an old Egg Harbor sportfish. At my age. I'm not sure I have THAT much useful time left for a project!

MrChristopher

Resurrecting this thread. I went down and paid for the storage for this vessel and have started the process of getting her seaworthy. Lot of work (electrical panel is gone, that will be fun all on its own!) we will have a couple of days just in cleaning so we can start working. Glad we found this community!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome to the Forums and post up some photos when you can.
:egrin:

Regarding the length of our "restoration" it actually happens in fits and starts. Some years there are big upgrades and many years we just go sailing after a project gets done in the off season. If you look at my Blog entries you will see that we did not really start to "roll back time" seriously until 2018, and again in 2021. Now, we are at a sort of plateau of regular maintenance and even that is majorly reduced due to no longer having to cope with "typical old boat hassles" like water leaks.

Last edited: