• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fuel Prices: Sailing v. Powerboating

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Hi Everyone -

I've not seen a thread on this yet - so I thought I would toss this out for discussion:

With the increase in fuel costs, what changes out on the water have you noticed with respect to the number of powerboats you've seen, and what knowledge do you have of your current boating (sales-wise) market?
What I'm after is some discussion on the impact on sailing of the fuel costs, and also it's impact (at a local level - from your perspective) on those coming into sailing - either from power boating or elsewhere....

Anyone?

Thanks!
//sse

lbertran

Member III
Chesapeake Bay

We cruised from Annapolis to Hampton, VA in June stopping in Hampton, Yorktown, Deltaville, Solomons Island, Dun Cove(Tilghman Island). We've also spent many a weekend daysailing around home(Annapolis) and went to Saint Michaels for July 4. On all of these sails we've noticed a dramatic decrease in power boat traffic. Sure, the center console fishing skiffs are still out there but the larger cruising boats in the 30+ range are conspicuously fewer.

Mike.Gritten

Member III
We can sure see the difference here in Vancouver. Our marina here in downtown Vancouver is pretty much empty as far as visiting traffic is concerned. We have only half as many slips booked this year by visitors as the same period last year (according to our wharfinger and marina manager).

Last edited:

jmcpeak

Junior Viking
I notice on weekends the number of sticks leaving the harbor has remained the same (been at same marina for 4 years). The number of power boats leaving the docks has gone down, but not much.
What I found in talking with them is they just take much shorter trips. I know of 2 power yachts that did crossings (across Lake Michigan and back) this year.
One power boater who owns a 2007 SeaRay 35 with twin 350's said a crossing would run him $1100 ifuel costs - that's for only 160 miles. Ouch!

Shadowfax

Member III
I talked to a friend that has a 35' power boat. He says he calculates fuel use at $3.00 per minute, per engine!

Last edited:

Bud H.

Member II
In our Marina on the Snake River it’s mainly ski boats in the 20 t0 25 foot range. Just from observation the numbers of ski boats and jet skis is down I would say a third. The guy who runs the gas dock has an interesting observation. It used to be folks would have him fill their boats. Now most customers say give me $20.00 or $30.00 worth.

Mikebat

Member III
This is looking mighty interesting.

The Island Pilot DSe Hybrid
America’s First Hybrid Yacht Using Solar - Diesel - Electric Drive

The DSe Hybrid sets a new standard for cruising economy - on a sunny day, she can cruise indefinitely at speeds up to 6 knots WITHOUT BURNING A DROP OF DIESEL! You can live on the hook for months at a time with ZERO diesel. All your power needs can be met by the 6+ kW Solar array, modern batteries and Diesel Serial Hybrid Propulsion System from Steyr Motors. Top cruising speed with her diesels running is over 13 knots.​

If it had sails, it'd be just about perfect!

Sailsteve

All's quiet on Long Island Sound

On the Western end of Long Island Sound, a place where last summer the weekend water was wake wonderful (sorry, I couldn't resist writing that) there is greatly diminished powerboat traffic. If the last three weekends are any indication of things to come then I would say that power boaters are not using their watercraft anywhere nearly as much as in summers past. A friend with a 33' gas guzzler tells me that he and most of the people at the marina where he docks are now calling their boats "waterside condos." He estimates that he burns about a gallon a mile... at these prices I don't think he'll be using his boat a great deal this year. Meanwhile, I just poured 5 gallons of diesel into the 13 gallon tank on my E36-RH and I expect that will last me the rest of the summer. It's entirely possible that this gas crunch will create a brand new generation of sailors.

Mikebat

Member III
That reminds me. I have often wondered if buying a sailboat in California that I intended to outfit and eventually cruise to Mexico, was a mistake. Now, with sailboats about to become more in demand, I wonder if it'd be a better option to sell Valinor as the market improves, fly down to Mazatlan or PV and buy a boat that's already down there, already outfitted for cruising and broken in.

Things to make you go "Hmmmmm...."

Fuel prices

An other thing that will affect the number of people on the water is the price of gas that is spent on GETTING to the marina. There are some people at our sail club that live far away(myself included) that are picking only the best winds to go sailing in and staying home the rest of the time. I'm glad that my wife and I only use about one to two gallons of gas/perseason for our E25:woot: .

Fair winds,

Chad

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Powerboat traffic is greatly diminished here in RI/Narragansett Bay. Still plenty of ski boats, center consoles, etc. but very few 30+ft planing hulls. I do see more people just putting along at hull speed, 9-10kts or so which is nice. Lots and lots of sailboats though.

Many if not all marinas have empty slips. I know of one yard that is down 30%. The downside to this is if marinas go out of business the developers will snap up the real estate and build condos. The people that build developments like this are not affected by the economy. They will buy a good deal and wait until the market improves to start the condo building. That means less slips and less access over time. This is not a good thing for ANY boater. Time will tell.

RT

obiwanrazzy

Member II
Condos

...The downside to this is if marinas go out of business the developers will snap up the real estate and build condos. The people that build developments like this are not affected by the economy. They will buy a good deal and wait until the market improves to start the condo building. That means less slips and less access over time. This is not a good thing for ANY boater. Time will tell.

RT

Interesting that you mention. Actually, our Port authority here in Everett, WA has a condo project on hiatus (last I heard) since the bank pulled out of the project. Good for the marine business that had yet to get the boot, bad for those that were already forced out..

Or maybe they just realized no one would buy a condo next to a Kimberly-Clark plant.