Fuel pump failure

peaman

Sustaining Member
I had just left my slip headed for a couple nights at Block Island. All was normal until I pushed the throttle up to 2000 rpm, and then it was like I throttled back. I found I could run at 1800 rpm, but if I pushed to 2000, same effect. The engine didn’t stop, it just slowed way down.

After checking a few things, I came to suspect my electric fuel lift pump. No clicking when the key was turned “on”. I used a jumper wire to put 12V directly to the hot wire on the pump, and nothing.

M25XPB installed in 2020 with 272 hours. Lift pump is pictured below.

Any comments on the very short life of this pump? Apparently I should order a spare pump along with the replacement. Should I replace the pump in kind, or should I consider some kind of upgrade? Is there no means of manually purging air from this engine (it ran okay at 1800 rpm)?

IMG_0094.jpeg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You've probably already changed the primary fuel filter.

peaman

Sustaining Member
You've probably already changed the primary fuel filter.

Once I decided it was a fuel problem, I thought maybe filter. The Racor was replaced 6 months ago, while the engine-mounted filter was last changed 18 months ago. I always add fuel from a 5 gallon jug, road tax paid (still cheaper that fuel dock), so no red dye, and so I can always see the quality of what goes in the tank. Anyways, I did replaced the engine mounted filter and that’s when I realized that I was not purging air: no tick tick tick from the engine. With that, I was completely screwed since without purging air, I could not run the engine at all, not even at 1800 rpm.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It's been a long time, but I recall reading that some of the alternative "square" pumps failed often. AFAIK the other cylindrical version lift pump from Facet has been more trouble-free. Hopefully others can chime in with up to date information.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Yep.
engine problems.jpg

Do you have a bleed valve? Ours is located at the base of the injectors on our M25 and runs back to the fuel tank. I didn't know what it was or what it was supposed to look like. Someone in its previous life had twisted the knob off and I was trying to bleed by turning the nut. The engine image is with the old one.
fuel bleed E35-3 M25 a.jpg
fuel bleed E35-3 M25 b.jpg
I replaced it and that seemed to solve our fuel problems. Replacing the Facet lift pump had not solved it, but if you don't have the noise, it's worth replacing. I eventually also replaced the old Racor preemptively.

- https://westerbeke.com/Product/VALVE/300050?productname=VALVE&productid=54202A30DAF73B1CA82D9285

peaman

Sustaining Member
The XPB had a big improvement in bleed over earlier models. Previously when I replaced a filter, all I needed to do was turn the key. That would run the pump, and you could hear it running: rapidly at first and then more labored as the air was purged. I do not have that fitting where yours is.