• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fuel return line replacement

Bumbugo13

I have a 1986 Ericson 32-3 with Universal M25. The fuel return lines were in really bad shape and she was leaking fuel from them. I replaced them but haven't tested it yet. I'm wondering if it is necessary to bleed the fuel system after changing just the fuel return lines? Please advise.

Bumbugo13

The return line just "returns" fuel to the tank, under no pressure. Nothing to 'bleed'.
You only have to get all the air out of the supply side from tank to high pressure pump, and thence to the cylinders.
Thanks, Loren Beach. That was helpful. After replacing the return lines, engine started and ran fine. No leaks originating from those connections anymore. However, we still have a fuel leak. Haven't been able to pinpoint it (them). Fuel drips down off of the bell housing on the back of the engine. Also drips down on the starboard side, from the vicinity of where the filter mount or injection pump. It's just so dang hard to see what's going on there.

jtsai

Member III
Are you positive it is fuel and not pink anti-freeze? I had small drips in the same vicinity as you described and "taste test" proved it was anti-freeze. It was very bitter. Transmission fluid can be pink too.

The "taste test" is now my level-one diagnostic tool, works for mysterious bilge water too. Don't tell my health insurance carrier.

Bumbugo13

Thanks for the input, jtsai! If it looks like diesel and tastes like diesel, it must be diesel. Ha!

It's definitely diesel. The smell test is clear. And our coolant is green. Definitely not tranny fluid either. I'm gonna put my phone in a selfie stick and take a bunch of pics and vids to see if I can locate the origin of the leak.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What worked for me was to tie or tape paper towels at every suspicious location, and then run the engine. Marine diesel being bright red, the white towels effectively locate leaks and sprays. Spray from hose pinholes can be subtle and wet areas many inches from their origin.

In my case the recent culprit was a split fuel return line between two injectors. In the past the leak was the return line itself, because the barb on the engine and the barb on the fuel tank were of greatly different size, and some former worker had made a sloppy connection at the tank end.

fuel return leak.JPG