Guest viewing is limited

Fuel tank filler and vent hose info

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Does anyone have any drawings or details on the fuel tank filler and vent hose installation, especially on the deck fitting side ? I have a 1982 33RH but I would imagine most of the boats if that vintage use the similar h/w. I’m doing a tank installation and the hoses are not visible , so need to know what I’m getting into if I replace them .

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
On the 32-3, after leaving the port-side fuel tank bay (under the quarterberth):

- The vent line runs gradually aft and upward to the stern vent (the blue line):
20161024_145052.jpg

- The filler line makes a hard 90 degree upward bend to meet the filler cap in the port cockpit coaming (black line):
20240329_202403.jpg 20220818_170816_HDR.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
- The vent line runs gradually aft and upward to the stern vent (the blue line):
Also a different model (O-34), but the EY factory install for the fuel vent was like this. That long run aft from our settee tank had a lot of little sags between fastenings. After getting some fuel in that line from a too-enthusiastic fueling operation, the transom vent would burp out some fuel for a while in rough water. Not good.
I finally rerouted the line with more slope and then a further turn up to a vent on the inside of the cockpit combing. This finally put it well above the level of the deck fill on our side deck, also.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
On the 32-3, after leaving the port-side fuel tank bay (under the quarterberth):

View attachment 49861

- The filler line makes a hard 90 degree upward bend to meet the filler cap in the port cockpit coaming (black line):
View attachment 49863 View attachment 49862
So I’m guessing the tank end of the filler hose has to be disconnected ( or cut ) before the deck fitting can come out ? I’m assuming the hose is clamped to a metal tube in the deck fitting ?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On the 381 the fill cap is located on the outside of the cockpit coaming (the vertical surface). It's a little awkward if the fuel dock is on the other side, but it works OK.

It was probably the easiest to install there, and is an acceptable option. .

JSM

Member III
So I’m guessing the tank end of the filler hose has to be disconnected ( or cut ) before the deck fitting can come out ? I’m assuming the hose is clamped to a metal tube in the deck fitting ?
Yes , the hose is clamped to the deck fitting. A few years ago I had to replace the deck fitting on our 34-2 and was able to pull the hose up out of the combing with the deck fitting , replace the fitting and push everything back in.