Fun seeing other Ericsons in the wild

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Unfortunately I don’t have a photo but my wife and I spotted an E32 (like our E32-3) on a morning ball in Annapolis harbor while we we having dinner and drinks on “Pussers” deck next to ”Ego Alley” the other day. The Harbor was fill almost to capacity with moored boats but the profile of the Ericson stood out to us almost right away. Then again maybe we’re a bit biased in our tastes for sailboats. :)

p.gazibara

Member III
Always fun to see another E boat around! I have not had the pleasure for quite a while down here in the Southern Hemisphere.

Then I was rowing out to the mooring and noticed very familiar lines. Another Ericson? Here in Auckland!

9B9D6FA0-39A4-432D-B513-F908F82CC8E2.jpeg

B81ADB9D-2A8D-4B7A-9FF8-3AC84EA9AFD7.jpeg

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Looks like an E35-2 with different windows installed. I wonder if they have a keel stepped mast and a Santa Cruz 50 companionway ;-).

Unfortunately I don’t have a photo but my wife and I spotted an E32 (like our E32-3) on a morning ball in Annapolis harbor while we we having dinner and drinks on “Pussers” deck next to ”Ego Alley” the other day. The Harbor was fill almost to capacity with moored boats but the profile of the Ericson stood out to us almost right away. Then again maybe we’re a bit biased in our tastes for sailboats. :)
We were in Annapolis Harbor on a ball, but it was mid September, I think. We happened on the Singer Songwriter Fest by accident, but stayed for all three daysIMG_3005.jpeg. So it wasn’t us. But we’ll cross paths eventually.
Whispering Swan
1986 32-3
Middle River, MD

JamesTSR

Always fun to see another E boat around! I have not had the pleasure for quite a while down here in the Southern Hemisphere.

Then I was rowing out to the mooring and noticed very familiar lines. Another Ericson? Here in Auckland!

Yep, that's our Blue Chip. A 1976 E35-2 with original Atomic 4 still going strong, hull #469
Was on her today dodging wind and rain to measure up for new rigging and prep for a haul out in a few weeks' time for bottom paint, new rigging and to give her a birthday.

We had often gone past Cinderella a few moorings down from us and I finally put two and two together that she was yours..... small world alright!

This marks my first post as well so Hi all!

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
So Blue Chip sailed to NZ and used to be a slip neighbor with Cinderella in Seattle?

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Mystic E32 2023 ATI.jpg

Rhode Island, 9/3/23: We saw this 1985 E32-3, Mystic, doing the 2023 Conanicut Yacht Club Around the Island Race (CYC ATI). They won non-spinnaker, class A (9 boats). They beat their nearest competitor by almost ten minutes on corrected time. There were 83 boats total.

I was doing bow on a J/105 and Donna was doing main on a Frers 40. Mystic wasn't in either of our classes, but crewing on friends' boats, I've raced against them before. I have never met them but they're solid competitors.

JamesTSR

So Blue Chip sailed to NZ and used to be a slip neighbor with Cinderella in Seattle?
Rob and Jan (PO) had Blue chip shipped over a number of years ago (7yrs or so) to New Zealand, we bought Blue Chip one year ago from them and where Blue Chip is on a mooring in Auckland Cinderella was a few moorings down from us however after reading P.Gazibara's blog it appears Cinderella is now up in Whangarei?

p.gazibara

Member III
Rob and Jan (PO) had Blue chip shipped over a number of years ago (7yrs or so) to New Zealand, we bought Blue Chip one year ago from them and where Blue Chip is on a mooring in Auckland Cinderella was a few moorings down from us however after reading P.Gazibara's blog it appears Cinderella is now up in Whangarei?
Yup, we fought our way to windward up the Hatea river. Now we are berthed in the Town Basin, best marina I have experienced so far in NZ. Bugger its 16nm up a narrow river! Daysailing is not an option at the moment :(. We had a good run North though! Feels warmer too.

Perhaps we will have a chance to raft up at some point... BOI maybe? Would have been great to catch up before we headed North, ships passing I suppose. We do still need to come back down to Waiheke to grab Coco's dinghy that we left on the beach there...

Cheers,
-p

JamesTSR

Yup, we fought our way to windward up the Hatea river. Now we are berthed in the Town Basin, best marina I have experienced so far in NZ. Bugger its 16nm up a narrow river! Daysailing is not an option at the moment :(. We had a good run North though! Feels warmer too.

Perhaps we will have a chance to raft up at some point... BOI maybe? Would have been great to catch up before we headed North, ships passing I suppose. We do still need to come back down to Waiheke to grab Coco's dinghy that we left on the beach there...

Cheers,
-p
We Sailed Blue Chip from the Whangarei Town basin back to Auckland and it's a fair old hike down that river. Luckily we had an out going tide to assist us, was a great sail down the coast.

A raft up sounds good! if the weather plays its part we are aiming to be up in BOI over the xmas holidays with luck either this or around the Hauraki islands (Kauwau, Waiheke)
Blue Chip haul's out tomorrow for new thruhulls, bottom paint, new rigging and if enough time a cut n polish.... will look like new again :)