Rigging Furling Cleat Connundrum

All rigging related controls and equipment. Includes both standing/running rigging and controls thereof (winches, locks, cams, etc)Includes maintence equipment (bosuns chair, harness, etc).

Phr3d

Member II
So, the existing jam cleat is in that really nice “out of the way” area. You can almost see it it my picture.

The issue is when furling, I’m pulling back, and find it impossible to push down into that trough to cleat the line.

I‘m curious how others have solved this issue.

IMG_5819.jpeg
One idea I did have is to put something forward. There is a swivel cleat laying on the deck in the next picture. I can only imagine the issues that might arise from placing it there though.
IMG_5820.jpeg

I think it might be convenient to have it on the cabin top with the winches?

Suggestions / other solutions are welcome.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I positioned a block with cam-cleat on the lower portion of the stern-pulpit tube, using a couple of dyneema loops to carry the load.

The location is perfect when behind the wheel. and there's never much load on the furling line, so I haven't had reason to worry about stressing the pulpit.

furling line 2.jpeg

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
We don’t even use a cam-cleat for the furling line. Goes through the furling blocks, back to a ratchet block and turns to cockpit. There‘s a traditional cleat on the cockpit coaming and we cleat it off there.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Same as Bruce. Couldn't live without it. In dicey conditions, after the cam cleat I put the tail on a standard cleat, as insurance against a runaway roller furler, which is no fun. ( a runaway can happen after you dislodge the line from the cleat, should your grip on it fail)

I wouldn't use a jam (clam) cleat for that, they're only good for temp non-critical applications.

cam cleat roller furler line - Copy.JPG

I think it's a Harken cam cleat with ratchet block attached with a Harken rail mount base.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have a small Harken switchable ratchet block mounted low on the front leg of the stern rail. Then the line leads up to a Sherman Johnson horn cleat mounted on that same rail. Secure and easy to use. This is another question that may have multiple "correct" answers. :)

peaman

Sustaining Member
I have a basic block attached to a stanchion anchor at the forward-most leg of the stern rail, and from that the furling line gets cleated to the horn cleat just aft of the primary winch. It works fine for me. No need for can cleat, jam cleat, or even ratcheting block.