Gallons of water in the keel!!?

adam

Member III
After finding one deep blister, I drilled a hole below it in search of more water. I ended up drilling 2 holes with perhaps gallons of water pouring out of the keel.
I'm looking into it, and I think water may be seeping from the bilge down into the keel, but I'd appreciate any advice people have.

26993365_10155178108788309_1925342296978878768_n.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Unauthorized Water

After finding one deep blister, I drilled a hole below it in search of more water. I ended up drilling 2 holes with perhaps gallons of water pouring out of the keel.
I'm looking into it, and I think water may be seeping from the bilge down into the keel, but I'd appreciate any advice people have.

View attachment 23638

Is your visible bilge area empty? I wonder if it generally stays empty of water? If so, some of it percolates down in the abyss by the ballast casting.
IIRC the factory glassed over the ballast area, and so there must be a place where water gets down below the normal sump. In turn, the sump collects water from the stuffing box and any other incidental leakage -- which normally should stay there to be pumped out.

One descriptive quibble if I may - the water is coming from your "hull" and the internal ballast in the keel cavity is inside that hull molding. So if there is ever a leak in that area, like from grounding damage, you'd notice it on the inside when/if it worked its way up to the sump.

Looks like the hull area where you drilled is solid and in good condition. Once the internal water accumulation is drained out it will be dry... until you fix the sump "leak" anyhow. :rolleyes:

Good luck. Checking everywhere underneath the cabin sole might be a somewhat of a challenge. All of the sole pieces in our boat unscrew, but yours might be fastened differently.

Advice worth .01, with Friday discount. :0

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Hi Adam
Lorens advice is 100%. I was "there" many, many years ago with a bang in the keel leak and then rainwater down the bilge. Contractor sucked it all out of the keel with a shop vac and reglassed the hull hole(s.) No problems since. No evidence it ever happened. Best Regards Pat 1981 E28+Universal 5411

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Hi Adam
Lorens advice is 100%. I was "there" many, many years ago with a bang in the keel leak and then rainwater down the bilge. Contractor sucked it all out of the keel with a shop vac and reglassed the hull hole(s.) No problems since. No evidence it ever happened. Best Regards Pat 1981 E28+Universal 5411

I'm confused by this observation (and the explanation).
I 'thought' my keel (E32-3; shallow draft) was made from a solid pour of molten lead into a mould - didn't expect to hear about voids in the body of Ericson keels.

Even with voids in the body of a keel (e.g., if a fiberglass keel cavity is filled with lead shot), how can water in bilge cavities seep/drain down into the body of the keel? Are there gaps between the fiberglass shell that forms the bilges and the keel bolts that come up into some of the bilge cavities?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The 35 had a moulded glass keel shell into which the lead fit, and there can be gaps.

The 32-3 has a lead keel bolted directly on and can't hold water.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I'm confused by this observation (and the explanation).

The 1980s Ericsons (32-III, 35-III, 38) all have solid-lead keels bolted to the bottom of the boat.

The prior generation (27, 29, 32-2, 35-2) have "integral ballast" - the fiberglass hull molding includes the keel, and lead is inserted into the keel space during construction.

So, yes.... those boats may have spaces/voids inside the fiberglass "container" that the lead is in.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Hi NQuigley
Our E28+ has a encapsulated keel and thats the way it works. Many many years ago I hammered a Maine ledge that put a shark bite in the leading edge of the keel. Water appeared in the bilge but would not come above the top of the keel. We sailed for a couple of weeks and hauled for the winter. Water bled out of the sharkbite at the ramp. Stripped the boat for winter and waited for glassman to arrive. Left the boat hatch open (first and last time) and collected some rain water. Glassman arrived and said no problem... He just drilled a couple of holes in the keel and sucked out all the water. Dried the area with a hair dryer. Have had no problems since. Best Regards Pat 1981 E28+Universal 5411

adam

Member III
There are definitely voids. It seems that there is a layer of foam in between the lead and the fiberglass. And water seems to move just fine through that foam.

I've done my best to dry it. I've patched up the big blister.

I think I've found an obvious spot that may leak (a PO cut a hole in the fiberglass in the bilge!!)

The next step after the patch fully dries is to hook up a compressor to the one remaining hole and see where the air comes out.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Keel Issues

Hi Respected Sailors Sorry to hear about your keel issues, I guess I lucked out. No problems at all since that shark bite in the keel. Bilge always dry as a bone. Sort of surprising since we have cold winters with (-20) from time to time. Looking out the office window as I key and the boat looks great.
Best Regards Pat 1981 E28+Universal 5411

Last edited: