• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Going to see an Ericson 38 tomorrow

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi everyone,

What do you think of this Ericson 38? A bit further - about 400 miles away. The wood inside looks very dark - photography lighting? How hard is it to lighten? Side panels around portlights look like they have been replaced. Carpeting hides the sole. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984/ericson-38-3716800/

Thanks!
Dave
It does have some recent upgrades, for sure. However..... Interior wood appears quite dark. I wonder if the original oil finish has been augmented with more coats, and perhaps some old dirt is in it? From experience I know that the factory teak veneers and solids will lighten up a lot when cleaned up and refinished, which we have done. The veneer on the cabin sides looks strange, almost like fir plywood. Perhaps, and only a closeup view will confirm, the ports leaked and caused some rot on the surface, and someone replaced the surface veneer with "something." Really, no way to tell without a real in person look.
Engine hours, if true, are very low. That and the recent AC installation would seem to indicate that it may have been a dockside vacation home.
Carpet would also indicate that it does not leave the dock.

*Aside: one time a decade ago, I did an informal assessment (no, not a survey) of a Choy Lee 41, for a person residing out of state. It was a model I was interested it, as well. I got permission to board from the local broker. Unfortunately the teak decks were oozing water and the boat was really a project boat....... no sale, to that prospect... ! It's a design I really like too, but I would not touch that one. :(

If you are really a motivated buyer (definition open to interpretation), you might see if someone living near the boat will have a look and take some pix for you to ponder.

Asking the broker for the last time the standing rig was renewed and getting a blank look, would also help your assessment. The adjective "solid" for a sail inventory might mean that a new set is needed immediately. Perhaps. Or I am over thinking the whole situation.
:)
Let us know what you decide.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Oh, and "just one more thing"... when shopping, you ought to have a look at the Ericson 35-3. It's not that much smaller and also has a separate shower. It's fast, too!

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
If a 3rd party inspection is something that may work you could post on the Mid-Atlantic Chesapeake forum to see if someone is close and would be willing to have a look on your behalf. It may be a good if just to see if it's worth making the trip.

dhill

Member III
Oh, and "just one more thing"... when shopping, you ought to have a look at the Ericson 35-3. It's not that much smaller and also has a separate shower. It's fast, too!
Thanks Loren,

I also like the Ericson 35-3 very much, but I haven't found any near me that are in decent shape at the moment. There were a few very nice ones on the market a year or so ago, but I wasn't ready at the time. The smaller size does appeal, although I do like the enclosed aft cabin on the original Ericson 38 layout.

Thanks!
Dave

dhill

Member III
If a 3rd party inspection is something that may work you could post on the Mid-Atlantic Chesapeake forum to see if someone is close and would be willing to have a look on your behalf. It may be a good if just to see if it's worth making the trip.
Thanks Dave - great idea!

Dave

dhill

Member III
Thanks Loren,

I also like the Ericson 35-3 very much, but I haven't found any near me that are in decent shape at the moment. There were a few very nice ones on the market a year or so ago, but I wasn't ready at the time. The smaller size does appeal, although I do like the enclosed aft cabin on the original Ericson 38 layout.

Thanks!
Dave
Hi Loren,

Here is a Ericson 35-3 in RI, closer to me: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/ericson-35-iii-3566949/. It has been on the market for a while. Price is good, but I'm seeing some work.

Thanks!
Dave

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Pics look pretty good especially at that price. Could use instrument upgrade but if they work that's ok too. Same broker has an E32-3 too.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Loren,

Here is a Ericson 35-3 in RI, closer to me: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/ericson-35-iii-3566949/. It has been on the market for a while. Price is good, but I'm seeing some work.

Thanks!
Dave
It looks like the broker has only a passing acquaintance with the listing. That engine model is a 21 hp engine, and was extremely common in the industry. Instruments are indeed old, but I would keep using them anyway - they are good brands.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
"Here is a Ericson 35-3 in RI, closer to me: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/ericson-35-iii-3566949/. It has been on the market for a while. Price is good, but I'm seeing some work.

Thanks!
Dave"

When the price is good.....work is expected. My 35-3 was priced right...almost 2 years later, still doing lots of work. I think that is par for the course. From the pictures...looks pretty good, for what you can see. Surveyor of Course. Bet you could offer $16.5 and own that Ericson! Not saying lowball; however, its been on the market for a while and the owner may just accept the offer or make a close negotiation.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Re Post #21--the listing.

Yes, very dark. Looks like a refinishing job. Too dark. Impossible to lighten within realistic budget, My guess is the cabin house teak around the portlights was replaced with plywood (characteristic grain pattern).

It may be a 1984 but the layout is pure early Ericson 38--split bench, enclosed qberth and cabin heater.

The 5444 engine was probably optional at time of Ericson manufacture, and has 44 horsepower. Toad says it was only made for two years. The standard engine on the mid-80s 38 series was the Universal 5432, 32 hp 4-cylinder diesel.

dhill

Member III
Re Post #21--the listing.

Yes, very dark. Looks like a refinishing job. Too dark. Impossible to lighten within realistic budget, My guess is the cabin house teak around the portlights was replaced with plywood (characteristic grain pattern).

It may be a 1984 but the layout is pure early Ericson 38--split bench, enclosed qberth and cabin heater.

The 5444 engine was probably optional at time of Ericson manufacture, and has 44 horsepower. Toad says it was only made for two years. The standard engine on the mid-80s 38 series was the Universal 5432, 32 hp 4-cylinder diesel.
Thanks Christian,

I was afraid that the dark wood would require major surgery. I think if I were to purchase this boat I would paint the cabin sides the same way you did with your 32-3, which I think looks great! Pacific Seacraft took the concept even further, although perhaps that was to save money on teak.

Does that mean that 5444 parts are hard to find, since presumably few engines were produced?

I like the original Ericson 38 layout with the enclosed qberth. It looks like the 381 galley is a little bit different and may have more refrigeration/freezer space, replacing the original wet locker/open cabinet.

I'm thinking I'll head down to Rhode Island to take a look at the 35-3 down there. The deck on that boat looks splotchy in the pictures like parts of the non-skid has worn away so I'm wondering if that also will require major surgery. Could be just patches of water on the deck.

Thanks!
Dave

Last edited:

dhill

Member III
Dave, It looks like the deck hasn't fully dried from rain or wash down. My nonskid looks like that after a rain, FWIW.
Thanks Dave! Talked to the broker - he indicated that there are some soft spots in the cabin sole and that one keel bolt has rusted.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Ouch, cabin sole is a big job but DYI doable. Dropping the keel to replace keel bolt(hopefully only one) may be pricey though. If you think your interested you probably want to get at least a ballpark estimate for that job before proceeding.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
IMHO, the cabin sole replacement (if needed) is quite do-able by a patient amateur. "Rust" on a keel bolt could be minor and just indicate that it's time to re-bed the keel anyway.

Last edited:

dhill

Member III
Hi everyone,

Any thoughts on this Ericson 38? https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981/ericson-38-3822626/

Many major systems have been redone. New engine (Nanni - see related thread at https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/nanni-diesel-engines.18656/), transmission, fuel lines, exhaust piping, muffler. Holding tank and plumbing being replaced now, new batteries, 240w of solar panels, wiring redone professionally in 2011. Portlights resealed in 2019, cabin side panels replace in 2019, cabin sole replaced with marine plywood and laminate floor, new 140% genoa, sailed from Nova Scotia to Bahamas twice in last 5 years. All electronics supposedly work except for the anenometer. Forestay has been replaced recently, but the rest of the rigging hasn't been touched for at least 13 years.

Boat has had 3 owners, the latest has owned the boat for 13 years. They bought the boat in Rhode Island.

Canada isn't allowing any border crossing for boat viewing, so I can't see the boat in person. I have a FaceTime session scheduled instead with the broker - not ideal, but perhaps better than nothing. Will likely cost about $2K to truck it to mid-coast Maine or sail it to the border, which supposedly helps with taxes (and COVID protocols). If I decide to purchase, I would do a full slate of surveys: general, mechanical, rigging, sea trial.

Any opinions greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Dave

nquigley

Sustaining Member
She looks great! Seems to be a very good price too. I really like the double bow roller extension! Since she's on the hard now, it might be cheaper to truck it to your chosen marina than to splash her, install the rig, do a shakedown cruise and then sail south. (I would have expected the trucking to cost closer to $5K ?) Good luck!

dhill

Member III
The trucking distance would be about 500 miles. I had heard $4/mile was the typical going rate, but perhaps that's too low. I'm in the process of getting quotes.

Thanks!
Dave

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The engine is a plus, the anchor windlass too, and the mast steps, rare nowadays, are a boon for cruisers.

Bahamas twice suggests good maintenance, and probably a knowledgeable current owner.