Green Mildew on Lines

Gmilburn

Member III
Hi all,
Any suggestions as to how to keep my lines from developing the green grunge from mildew? Would a dilute solution of bleach affect their strength? I took my mainsheet home and threw it in the clothes washer and it cleaned up pretty well--but after just a couple of months the green is back. Ideas?

Here in Arkansas, the lake never freezes, so the boat will be in the slip all through the winter. I'm sure by spring the green will be rampant!

Attachments

• green line.JPG
    green line.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 105

Gmilburn

Member III
Thanks Rick for your suggestion. Actually there are many things that would kill mildew--but not work on the fungal spores (my microbiology geekness is emerging)--like bleach, but my fear is that too much bleach (or too frequent bleach) would degrade the line material.

Perhaps I'm just worrying too much--and I need to stop worrying about the green grunge, or quit worrying about bleach's effect on the strength of the line.

I just thought someone might have more experience or knowledge on the subject, than me.

Vincent

Member II
Clean lines

Thanks Rick for your suggestion. Actually there are many things that would kill mildew--but not work on the fungal spores (my microbiology geekness is emerging)--like bleach, but my fear is that too much bleach (or too frequent bleach) would degrade the line material.

Perhaps I'm just worrying too much--and I need to stop worrying about the green grunge, or quit worrying about bleach's effect on the strength of the line.

I just thought someone might have more experience or knowledge on the subject, than me.
I wouldn't use bleach at all. Use a antimicrobial cleaner, found in some bath cleaners and sanitizers. soak and rinse.
Vince

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We have washed many boat lines, including a heavy anchor rode. We use cold water, mild detergent, and then bring them home to air dry over some saw horses.
Washing is done at a neighborhood laundromat, using the bigger machines that are for sleeping bags and similar. It takes a handful of quarters, but it's worth it.
I would not want to put that much stress on our light-duty home machine.

Loren