Growl

Dave Hussey

Member III
:confused: My E27 had sat in the slip until last week when I charged the batteries and ran the Volvo diesel for the first time in six months. It fired right up, but when I slipped the transmission into forward, there was a continuous growl eminating from either the stuffing box or the strut bearing, I think... (I hope it's not the transmission). This was the case in reverse too. Going back and forth from forward to reverse the growl went away in forward, but then suddenly it pops up again. :eek: Has anyone else had this happen? What did you find caused it? what is the sollution? Thank you
Dave Hussey

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Check the stuffing box. Could be dried up packing? Hop over the side and take a look at the strut (cutlass bearing) could be fouled with growth or a trash bag. While over the side with the engine in neutral try turning the prop by hand and feel for resistance/ grinding. Check tranny fluid for debris and condition. Change fluid. Check shifter cable adjustments, maybe its not all the way in gear? Bout all I can think of right now.

Dave Hussey

Member III
Thanks for the ideas Ted.
I guess i need to invest in a wet suit...the waters here in the Puget Sound are a bit nippy. Come to think of it, the stuffing box did seem to be dry, no drips observed while shaft was turning. Sure would be a treat if that is all it was.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Try Lighthouse Diving...

You know you can rent dive gear cheaply, right? If you're a certified diver, it will only cost you about $20-$30...

//sse

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Another thought would be to stay dry and just try turning the shaft by hand at the suffing box/ coupler area. If you can, might be rather tight but perhaps with big pair of channel locks. Just be carefull not to chew up the shaft.

chaco

Member III
Check the Oil !

Growls come from worn/dry transmissions that sit for long periods without use.
Water vapor can condense in a casing with low level and goes in to your oil.
Not to mention what this does to your bearings and gears.
Normal use is the best thing for any piece of Marine Equipment.
Heat from use and the engine drives the moisture back out again.
If the oil is dirty (not CLEAR red) change it !

Be kind to your Transmission ! :egrin:

Dan Simpson
74' E35II
Merlin
Oceanside, CA