Hatch Covers to block UV

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I was asked about our Sunbrella fabric hatch covers the other day. After we got this boat we had to replace both hatches due to severe crazing from the California sun. Replacing the lens was not appropriate in our situation due to frame and hinge problems as well, I should note.

Here are a couple of shots of the snap-in-place covers for the foreward hatch. The smaller vent hatch has the same type cover. This is actually the second one for the big (and spendy) size 70 fore hatch... after over 8 years the first one started coming apart from wear and UV.

Another Ericson at the club has a similar design but with an inner layer of cloth that holds a piece of insulative bubble-wrap plastic.

If you do not have a frame with a lip, like the Lewmar and some other alloy hatches, you could put a snap fastener at each corner, perhaps.
Important Note: tuck the shock cord under the outer flange/lip when you close to keep it out of the interface with the gasket.

These have resisted winds of over 40 kts.

Also nice for keeping the sunlight out when sleeping in...
:)

Loren in PDX

Attachments

• hatch cover corner detail.JPG
    hatch cover corner detail.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 184
  • hatch cover foreward.JPG
    hatch cover foreward.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
$$

It was $35. from a local canvas person who works out of her home.

Loren

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I had two made by JSI (http://newjsi.com). They were about $80 each but are a bit more tailored in that the beveled part of the frame is a separate piece (you are required to send a pattern of heavy plastic for each hatch). In addition, they have 1/4" closed cell foam stitched between two layers of Sunbrella on the top surface to keep out the heat (which I understand is a major contributor to crazing) and a sewn-in bungee around the bottom edge to fit under the lip of the hatch. The covers are well worth the money because they not only protect the hatches, but keep the boat much cooler, cutting down on mold growth and sun damage to the interior (also good for sleeping).

Last edited:

CaptnNero

Accelerant
They look marvelous

Loren,

I like the looks and design of that. We have some with the puckered seam and elastic band all of the way around. That's great until the elastic goes and then there's much sewing to do. Yours looks easier to install, remove, and repair. Plus it probably dries out underneath better with more ventilation on the corners.

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Very nice

Thanks for posting, Loren. I like the corner treatment too. Gives us more ideas to consider. We like the idea of being able to raise and lower the hatch with the cover attached.