Have AIS B, will travel

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I just installed a new VHF radio with an AIS receiver. Cool to see a display of the ships in your vicinity, their position relative to you, their lat/long, course, direction, speed, bearing...

Unfortunately I do not have an AIS transponder, so I can see them, but they can't see me...except on their radar, hopefully...

Sven

Seglare
I just installed a new VHF radio with an AIS receiver. Cool to see a display of the ships in your vicinity, their position relative to you, their lat/long, course, direction, speed, bearing...

Unfortunately I do not have an AIS transponder, so I can see them, but they can't see me...except on their radar, hopefully...

It is really neat. I just hope that we won't get complacent and not keep a careful lookout because we assume the AIS is reality.

-Sven

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Just recently installed an Amec Camino 101 AIS transponder. We went cruising for two weeks and it was great to be able to talk to other boats by name and even have a few commercial boats contact us to relay navigation info. Not a substitue for radar or a proper watch but it is a great addition.

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
I was poised to order the Standard Horizon GX2150 for my entry into AIS receiving, but I'm gonna blow that portion of this month's budget on the iPhone 4S preorder in a few hours. The boat is pissed, but my daughter will be happy to inherit my iPhone 4 since her ancient 3GS is obsolete. I'll make it up to the boat next month. Meanwhile, I guess we'll still have to keep our eyes open.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
The GX2150 is the unit I installed. I decided on it mainly for the remote mic option for the cockpit. The remote mic has all the functionality of the base unit including the DSC distress button, which some other remotes did not have. You do need to have a NMEA signal from a chart plotter or or other GPS receiver, however.

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Yeah, I want it for the remote mic/controller, and because it will work with my Raymarine C80 without an expensive multiplexor. And the price for all that, plus a DSC VHF, is ridiculously affordable! That will be my November present to the boat.

One of the main reasons I'm upgrading the phone is off topic re AIS, but on topic for boat entertainment. With 64gb storage, the iPhone holds more music and HD movies. Streaming is not very realistic outside Two Harbors or Avalon, so the media needs to be stored onboard. My fiancé recently picked up an HD flat screen that is DC powered. Since DVD resolution sucks, and disks are a pain to store and organize (and remember to bring along), it's nice to have them in the phone. With an HDMI adaptor, I play HD movies from the Phone to the TV. That's not as nautical as reading Two Years Before the Mast, or Moby Dick under an oil light, but we're in a phase where we watch really cheesy horror flicks based on sailing adventures. That, combined with good vino, equals easy laughter. We'll try to keep it down ;)

Last edited: