• Untitled Document

Join us on July 22ndat 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

The Chesapeake Bay Ericson Club (CBEC) is hosting special discussion on:

Special Guest: Mr. Matt Benhoff,

Vice President, Annapolis School of Seamanship 

Topic: Annapolis School of Seamanship Basic Diesel Engine Course

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and put a face to the names you've been seeing on the site!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

July Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

• Untitled Document

...3 Years in the Making:

Join Us for the 2022 Ericson Pacific Northwest Rendezvous!

Due to Covid and all that it brought, our annual tradition was put off for some time. Now it's back with a vengeance!

Please join us July 22-24 at Genoa Bay, BC Canada for fun, games and we'll learn something as well (maybe).

Click Here for More Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Head (toilet) Hose Connections Ericson 381

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
We replaced the hoses and original Ericson Y valves with a single Y valve configuration that allows both fresh water and sea water flush. The original Ericson system had problems which I won’t repeat here.

The line labeled From Sink and the thruhull line labeled Sink Drain both lead to a Tee fitting directly underneath the sink drain. The Y valve is set in the photo to send sea water to the toilet. To use the sink, open the Sink Drain thruhull valve.

To send fresh water to the toilet, switch the Y valve to connect the From Sink hose to the To Head hose And close the Sink Drain thruhull. Fresh water in the sink bowl will now be drawn into the toilet bowl when the toilet is pumped.

The toilet outlet leads directly to the holding tank — no Y valves there any more.

When we are out cruising, we use sea water for flushing. When we return, we pump the holding tank. We then pump lots of fresh water from the sink through the toilet and into the holding tank, and pump the holding tank again. We don’t have any head odors at all.

519AF39F-F049-4316-8D1D-EB358B590C8B.jpeg

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, new owners 7/21
Peggy Hall recommends a vent loop, though I don't see them often in installations. When we got the boat last fall we'd find some sea water in the toilet bowl after sailing. Would a loop stop that? Are vent loops a nice improvement or is the absence of one a disaster waiting to happen?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Since EY was not installing them on either the head intake or outflow in 1988, I also wonder if any potential problem they might address is also worth some additional complication?
That said, I do have Peggy's book, and consider her to be a real 'authority' on this stuff.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A vented loop keeps the toilet from overflowing when heeled over, and as I recall my 32-3, which didn;t have such a loop, would do that. I kept that thru-hull closed except when using the head.

I was always taught to keep the toilet seat up and the head door open except when in use, so you can notice an overflowing head. The habit is ingrained to this day.

I don't have a vented loop on the current boat, but have considered installing one. They look like this:

toilet vented loops.compressed.jpg