Heat Dome: Good Luck!

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Good luck to everyone in the PNW in todays expected record heat. As a West Seattle homeowner without AC, I can tell you it's no fun and we wish everyone the best today!

//sse

windblown

Member III
Good luck to everyone in the PNW in todays expected record heat. As a West Seattle homeowner without AC, I can tell you it's no fun and we wish everyone the best today!

//sse
Thinking of all of you out on the west coast caught in the overwhelming heat. As a former Oregonian (who never had AC there), it’s hard to imagine that kind of heat, or all the dangers and secondary problems it may cause. May you all be well.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I just realized the dog was stuck outside because the pet door was too hot for his nose. Couldn't figure out why he was woofing at it.
We've been living in the basement for the last couple of days - it was still 100 degrees in my room at midnight. (In the winter time, it's GOOD that heat rises to the top of the house.)
Prolly abandon the office around noon (It's already 105 at 10 am) head for the beach and wallow. I think its probably too hot to enjoy sailing, even if there is any wind but we might find a place to anchor out near the beach as a "play base."

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Take care of yourself and your family. 103 here now and headed for 116. (People in Phoenix are now glad they live where it's cooler...)
Yikes.
:(

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
In our rural setting on the Key Peninsula we saw 103 F on Sunday. We put in a heat pump to go with a new propane furnace in 2019 and man are we glad we did that! The great room rose to 79 F with a target of 75. Today? 110 F? We'll see. I hope everyone finds a good way to keep cool. We may go volunteer at a cooling station this afternoon for awhile.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Went down to the boat and sat in the cockpit. Big mistake! I think I have a burned bottom. How do you Southerners do it? Your cockpits have to be just as hot!

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Hit 109F in Everett yesterday. And then was 64F at 6am today. sheesh.

News said, before the weekend, that there had been only 3 days over 100F in Seattle since they started keeping records (1880s). I think we've now doubled that count.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
After 3 days of temps in the 106 to 113 range, very late last night the onshore flow of marine air reached SW Portland, and we went from about 104 down to 88 in a bit over an hour. Slow drop further to 70 early this am.
Today should be an ordinary hot day in the 80's.
We have some dying plants in the yard that watering did not save. (sigh) Neither the plants nor us were prepared for this kind of sudden climate change. These temps show why the explorers coined a name like "Death Valley" .....
:(
We knew the air mass was starting to move when the temperature at the coast went from 100 to 66, about 5 pm. Of course, further inland, it may still be dangerous today.

Teranodon

Member III
Our club had its Jack and Jill Race on Saturday. Eleven miles from the southern entrance of Friday Harbor to the Coast Guard buoy near Cattle Pass, and back. Very hot, blinding sun, strong currents (ebb, then flood) and winds from zero to 15 knots. Three boats managed to finish: a Raven 24 dinghy (the winner in 3.5 hours, with me on the jib sheets), an Etchells and a Tashiba 31. It was wonderful. But Sunday and Monday were unbearable - spent them on the couch, reading about Intelligent Design and feeling sorry for my poor collie dog. Today the heat has broken. Our club boats will be heading out at noon to witness the scattering of ashes of a dear member in the Channel. That's life (and more) in the San Juans.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
It was 116 here yesterday afternoon. Some of the PVC plumbing in my greenhouse melted! Kind of a mess in there this morning.
Looking at "only" 106 today.

Years ago, I had a project in Southern Spain for a few years. It was like this all the time in August. One came to appreciate thick masonry walls, siestas time, and dinner at midnight. Anyone who could took the month off and went to the mountains or the coast.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
In our rural setting on the Key Peninsula we saw 103 F on Sunday. We put in a heat pump to go with a new propane furnace in 2019 and man are we glad we did that! The great room rose to 79 F with a target of 75. Today? 110 F? We'll see. I hope everyone finds a good way to keep cool. We may go volunteer at a cooling station this afternoon for awhile.
This post refers to our house, of course. The boat can be uncomfortable. We did drop the kayak into Gig Harbor on Sunday and had a cool time, but getting back onto land was brutal at only 103F. Monday was 110F.