Help on Furlex?

paul culver

Member III
I can deploy the jib OK on either tack but I can only furl on port tack. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution? I tried downloading manuals from the Furlex (Selden) website but it was way too slow.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Guy Stevens

Halyard Wrap

The common cause for this is halyard wrap.

Did you install the halyard restrainer that came with the unit?

Especially when the halyards are close to the stay at the top, (Some are a lot farther away then most of the Ericsons). The halyard wraps when you are trying to roll it up. It is not unusual for this to seem to happen only on one tack.

The other issue with this is that people have sometimes managed to get their spinnaker halyard wrapped up in the top of the roller furling also.

You may need to go up top and look. Most of the issues are up there, few are on the bottom end.

Another thing to check is forestay tension..

Guy
:)

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Guy, good point on the Forestay tension. If mine is too tight, it makes it difficult to furl. It is always harder to furl in a good blow without pointing up a bit to un-weight the sail.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Rather than pointing up and letting the sail flog, point downwind and let out the sheets like you would trim for wing on wing. You will find the sail very easy to furl(assuming you have straightened out the original problem).

BTW, never use a winch to furl a stuck furler. This will eventually end in disaster.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I'll second treilley's comment. Barring any other mechanical problem pointing downwind and sailing 140* or so will blanket the foresail with the main. The result is that the foresail is much easier to roll up. No flogging, reduced apparent wind, etc. Once I learned this trick I've never done it any other way. RT

steven

Sustaining Member
I had an asymmetrical furling problem resulting from the knot that tied the jib to the halyard getting pulled partially into the halyard sheave. Happened on one tack and not on the other, maybe due to slight mast bending. Didn't know this was the cause - everything up there looked ok from the deck (even through binoculars). Yanked on it one day - which bent the shackle, which opened up and let the sail come down (lucky me - could have done some real damage).

Of course, the head shackle should not be that close to the sheave in the first place. But I've since walked around the docks with my field glasses and seen others that seem to be.

--Steve

FullTilt E28

Member III
Furler stuff

Unloading the jib - by turning down wind will help - also I found that my jib halyard shackle if cliped one way vis another will bind up at the top try flipping your shackle over on the halyard this might eliminate some of the hangup. By the way we just replaced our Profurl with a slightly used Harken for about half the cost of a new unit. We tore the stainless shackle through the alum Profurl head unit and the tack area was also showing failure on the profurl unit. Alum hard points with stainless shackles not a good combo.

EGregerson

Member III
furlex

Make sure the furlex has grease; there's a fitting with slotted screw; get furlex's sheet off their web site (even if it's slow). Makes a lot of difference. I usually steer into the wind to relieve the pressure on the sail to furl it. Good luck.

SASSY

Member II
Furlex

I have just installed a new Furlex 2000 for the Mexico Regatta and based on the instruction you should be able to reef the sail under reasonable load. If you furl the sail while down wind you will not be able to tention the sail correctly resulting in poor sail shape. I will scan the manual and email to you if you like. Back stay tention and haliard wrap of often the cause of such problems. Also you may want to check that the top of the drum is in the correct position before attaching the clue of the sail. This depends on wether you are furling the jib clockwise or counter clockwise as it locks in place 360 degrees one way or the other.
Andy