HIN vs Sail Number

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
So, I've read the former threads on HIN and how to decode them. The boat I just purchased has a HIN starting with: ERY26248

However, the mainsail I have, which I was led to believe was the original, has the number 235 on it. So, does that pretty much confirm it's not the original? Does the sail number always match hull number on the factory sail?

I grew up racing dinghies, where everyone had their number on the sail. Is that a "thing" apart from racing? Do most folks still get the hull number put on new sails?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome to the Ericson world.
It's probable that some of the same guys worked on both our boats, ours being an '88.

I started out in one design boats where the number on our main (and genoa and spinnaker) was the hull number.
(Trivia: just luck of the draw but for a while I was racing and cruising Ranger 20 #500.)

Our present boat has a USSailing number assigned as part of the group of numbers originally assigned down in SF where it was sold new. If the sail had not already had numbers on it I would have proudly put our hull number (8) on it.

Call it pride, and also it serves as a ID that others can suss out at a distance thru their binoculars -- and perhaps one day when the USCG is looking for me with an emergency communication and my radio is out, or I have requested help for a major leak, they might spot us in the distance just a tad quicker. Perhaps. Maybe.

If your main is original, that might be the hull number. Did the boat come with a genoa or spinnaker with the same number ironed on? Is the
Ericson helmet also on the main sail on both sides?

When you get time, post up a picture or three.
:egrin:

Scott B.

Congrats on your "new to you" E-26-2.

I'd say the sail numbers don't really confirm anything about your sails being original or not. From what you write your boat's production number is #248, so your sail numbers don't match that.

I own a 1979 Ericson 25+ (basically the prototype to your boat), which also came with original sails. The original sails were only a mainsail and a jib. Back when my boat was new, however, the original owner added a 5-digit racing number to the mainsail, which was assigned by the PHRF (now U.S. Sailing?). But after more than 40 years of wear and tear, if any factory numbers had been applied and removed back then, little evidence would likely remain today. My original mainsail does have the Ericson logo on it, just as Loren describes above.

Also my boat came with some "newer" sails for racing, which the sailmaker marked on them as vintage 1982. But unfortunately those sails are also now old and baggy, just like the originals. So whether your sails are original or not, you may want to look into getting some new sails, especially if you want any kind of upwind performance.

I've got newer sails now and occasionally race, so I've kept the 5-digit PHRF racing numbers (luckily they're seemingly permanently assigned to the boat once issued). However, I'm not sure about your 3-digit sail number. That may require some further research to find out its origin. I think some international one-design racing organizations use a 3-digit sail number, but I can't imagine how that would apply to an Ericson 26.

Let us know what you find out.

-- Scott

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
What you say about keeping the number on the sail makes sense, Loren; I likely will keep it when I replace it. Especially since I'm sailing on a lake and I might want to race it one day (it's in my blood). I need to learn how to handle it, first.

The main does have the Ericson logo plus a 26 on it. The picture of the '235' isn't great - this is from when I had it stretched out on my lawn to dry after scrubbing it. I don't have a spinnaker and I haven't unfurled the genoa (though I'm sure it's not the original). The main did have an indication that it was refurbished/renewed at some point. Maybe a previous owner got a "good enough, close enough" E26 sail.

Thanks for your thoughts, too, Scott. I don't think I knew that about the 25+. I'm going to try and squeeze another season or two out of this sail since I just bought the boat and have a laundry list of projects staring me down. It's definitely in the "old and baggy" category. At this point, I need to build fundamentals before I worry much about performance.

I'm going to have to research this some more, but just wondered what folks around here might know about it. Heck, maybe the owner of hull 235 is lurking around here and has a story to tell.

2021-02-14 00_05_34-Window.png
2021-02-14 00_00_57-Window.png

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I wonder if the PO bought that sailed used from the owner of #235?
If I were you, when ordering a new sail, I'd have the sailmaker put your hull # (248) put on it.
Good luck.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
I wonder if the PO bought that sailed used from the owner of #235?
If I were you, when ordering a new sail, I'd have the sailmaker put your hull # (248) put on it.
That's what I'm thinking, on both counts. I actually made contact with the previous-previous owner (the boat has changed hands around our club for a while) to see what he knows. I just hope the genoa doesn't have a 235 on it because I think it might actually be in good condition.

Thanks for the input!

Slick470

Member III
I agree with what has already been posted. Sail numbers are usually either the hull number or an assigned number from a racing organizational body. Coming from racing dinghys, I prefer the hull number so I'm glad our boat came with sails that had our hull number on them.

As a plus, remembering a 3 digit number when checking in at the committee boat is a lot easier than a 5 digit one from US Sailing. As a potential minus, on a larger body of water or a larger event, there is a chance someone may have the same number.