Hot Water Tank Replacement '81 30+

bolbmw

Member III
The hot water tank on our 37 year old boat is finally giving up the ghost (reddish, rusty water) and I'm looking for a suitable replacement. I don't have the measurements in front of me, but the original tank is an odd fibgerglass covered affair and sits in a locker under the aft seat in the port side saloon. It's a cramped space and my initial look for replacement shows much larger units. I will need to confirm but a Camco 6 Gallon Hot Water may just fit although making connections to it will be a PITA. I don't really want to sacrifice any space in the already small lazarette. Has anyone tackled this replacement?

Cheers

hot water tank.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Over a decade ago I replaced the factory 6 gallon water heater in our boat. To have more room I replaced it with an Atlantic brand 4 gallon. Still working fine. (SS inner tank and SS shell - good quality, but that builder folded many years ago).
The smaller tank only has one disadvantage and as you might guess it offers only warm water by the next morning after we anchor out for a night. It cools down quicker due to intermixing of the cold into the hot when you draw on it. Nothing there that could not be foreseen, just a compromise that we live with.

I note that modern replacements come in 5 gallon sizes, which might be better yet. Some shopping around might be in order.

I would look for something that fits (barely!) and then live with whatever gallonage it offers.

If we need to replace this one someday, I like the Isotherm line. Lots of size and shape choices.

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We have a1984 E30+, so likely a similar configuration to your 1981 E30+. We have had a seaward brand, 6 gallon aluminum water heater for the past 13 years and it works perfectly. It heats up to very hot water in about 30 minutes on shorepower. It is located on the floor of the port cockpit locker, in close proximity to the hoses from the engine area. That location leaves enough room that I can crawl into the locker and lay full length beside the water heater to get to the rudder post and steering cable, or facing the other way, to change transmission fluid or heat exchanger zinc.
If your boat is built the same as mine, I would recommend that. I have seen them advertised for about $300.
Frank

Ken Haneline

Member II
Although long ago disconnected, our hot water tank is mounted above the fuel tank on a wood platform. That leaves my port side lazarette open. I am not sure if that was an original placement or not. I don't have a picture and the boat is buttoned up for the winter. Ken