• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hull Fiberglass Damage. Cosmetic or more?

Amontyg

Member I
So during a rather windy afternoon it appears my fenders on the port side flipped up on a guest dock I've been staying at and did some damage to the side of my hull. The total area of the damage is maybe 3' by 8" or so, and the gouges are maybe 1/8" to 3/16 deep. You can see what appears to be glass in some of them. would this be considered a cosmetic repair, or more of a structural thing in nature? My boat is not the beauty queen at the marina, so I have no problem taking care of cosmetic issues myself, but if structural I'd probably get a pro to assist. Thoughts?IMG_1220.jpgIMG_1219.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1220.jpg
    IMG_1220.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 1

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Looks like just gouges in the gelcoat with nothing structural. You could check the inside of the hull for any stress cracks, but I doubt any exist.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Didn't even cut through the outer-most ply of fiberglass and for the most part barely scratched away the reddish barrier coat. Pretty easy fair & repair.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
IMHO, the most difficult part of the repair will be matching the gel coat. I know a couple of good good boatwrights that would encourage me to do the grinding and glass work as needed, and then fairing. Then they could do final fairing and shoot new gel coat.
I would definitely get my insurance company involved, too. I am reasonably good at basic frp repairs, but my insurer excels at writing checks... !
:)
Check writing is a vital part of repairs, much of the time. Once in a while, it's a relief to get some "ROI" for decades of premium payments.